Capture 4 PTZ camera's at once

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Sendurman

Capture 4 PTZ camera's at once

PostSun Apr 24, 2022 12:33 pm

Hello,

I have a question about recording. We are building a small studio with PTZ camera's. We will do both livestream and recordings for customers. We are looking at the ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K and now I want the option to record all 4 feeds from the PTZ camera's.
So I have the Atem, with the SDI in's from the camera's. Can I use the SDI out's on the Atem with a BLACKMAGIC DECKLINK 8K PRO to record all streams on a pc with fast NVME storage? Multiple SSD's to balance the workload and writing speeds.
The Decklink has 4 connections but I can start with 4 camera's and figure something out later if more are needed right? We have 2 sets, doubt we will use 5 or more camera's at the same time in the future, we will see.

I also need the option to record the livestream, and for that I thought connecting the atem television pro 4k to a Blackmagic Micro Converter - SDI to HDMI 12G together with a capture card that supports 4k.

Or does somebody have a better solution that allows me to do record all camera's and to be able to do livestreams?

Lance Lewis

Re: Capture 4 PTZ camera's at once

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 12:54 am

There are a couple of routes you can go. Depending on features needed, the least expensive route is probably to scrap your switcher and go with the atem mini pro iso. This will allow you to record all of your inputs and your mix master all to an affordable ssd drive. We've done this. Works just fine. However, it does mean using HDMI to get into the switcher. (NOTE: I am betting that there will at some point be a version of the atem mini pros with SDI inputs. Thought that was going to be their NAB announcement, but they shook things up in a different way instead)

If you want to keep your switcher, consider purchasing enough hyperdecks to record everything and then use the loops outs to get the signal from each camera into your switcher. Done this as well....works just fine.

There are other options too, but the two above are the most efficient in my opinion.
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

robertsmu

PostWed Apr 27, 2022 3:27 pm

Can I use the SDI out's on the Atem with a BLACKMAGIC DECKLINK 8K PRO to record all streams on a pc with fast NVME storage?

Not with the ATEM Television Studio Pro 4k. Not enough outputs (all those SDI Outputs above the SDI inputs are program returns to the cameras for control/talkback). Even if you could the audio would be the stereo mix down not the iso audio (if you wanted that).

Or does somebody have a better solution that allows me to do record all camera's and to be able to do livestreams?

ATEM Mini Pro Extreme ISO

Cybershadow

PostTue May 03, 2022 9:30 am

The Mini Extreme ISO is the cheapest way to record the individual streams, but it's 1080p only.

Another way doing this is using four individual Hyperdeck Studio 4k Pro units to record the individual cameras. You can synchronize them using the ref and tc connectors so all individual recordings are frame synced and share the same time code and automatically sync up in the editing software. They feature SDI loop out connectors that would provide the live camera signals to your TV Studio Pro 4k.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

Howard Roll

PostTue May 03, 2022 2:36 pm

Cybershadow wrote:You can synchronize them using the ref and tc connectors so all individual recordings are frame synced...

This is a common misconception, the cameras need to be genlocked not the recorders. Genlock exists on the hyperdeck for playback sync.

Good Luck

Cybershadow

PostWed May 11, 2022 10:49 am

Howard Roll wrote:This is a common misconception, the cameras need to be genlocked not the recorders. Genlock exists on the hyperdeck for playback sync.

That's not true. Look up "Input Re-Sync" in the Hyperdeck manual:
However, HyperDeck Studio has a unique feature that helps with ISO recording. It will allow
you to completely reverse this process and resynchronize the video input to the reference
input. What this means is you can connect a non-sync source to the HyperDeck and it will
retime the video input to the video reference and then record it.

But you're right: If possible you want to genlock your cameras.
Jens Willmroth

Howard Roll

PostFri May 13, 2022 6:49 am

Cybershadow wrote:That's not true. Look up "Input Re-Sync" in the Hyperdeck manual:

Did you read any further than the section header? Input re-sync, which is neither Genlock nor AV sync, works by buffering the signals until they're all at the same timebase. Using input re-sync necessarily creates additional delay.

Good Luck

IRS.png
IRS.png (144.93 KiB) Viewed 806 times

Cybershadow

PostFri May 13, 2022 2:24 pm

As I said: If all your sources support syncing on a reference signal (tri-level, black burst or SDI) do so and only use the timecode sync of the hyperdecks to sync ISO recordings. If you need to record sources that aren't synced (consumer cameras, computers, ...) use the re-sync feature. The delay you introduce is up to one frame (17 ms on a 59.97p signal) max. Re-syncing buffers up to a single frame, if the source signal became off by more than one frame a frame is doubled or dropped.

However, don't try to ISO record off the SDI outputs of your switcher as was suggested earlier in this thread.
Jens Willmroth

Howard Roll

PostFri May 13, 2022 4:13 pm

Cybershadow wrote:The delay you introduce is up to one frame (17 ms on a 59.97p signal) max. Re-syncing buffers up to a single frame, if the source signal became off by more than one frame a frame is doubled or dropped.

Agreed, latency, dropped, and doubled frames. If that's what one is after, then yes, use the re-sync feature.

Good Luck

Sendurman

PostFri May 13, 2022 6:19 pm

Thanks everyone. I can work with this information! I have not yet purchased this gear, I have a meeting about it tomorrow. I think we go the hyperdeck route, but we will decide tomorrow.

Cheers!

Return to Live Production