ATEM Distorts Output from Computer Monitor

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

AlaskanInTexas

ATEM Distorts Output from Computer Monitor

PostThu May 05, 2022 7:14 pm

Using an ATEM Mini Extreme ISO. Though an HDMI splitter, I send the HDMI out from my computer to my monitor and to an ATEM input. Forever this has worked just fine for sharing my screen. But within the last month or so (without any changes to my hardware) the output from the ATEM takes my screen image and splits it horizontally and vertically and moves those pieces around on the output (i.e., the bottom of my screen shows up in the middle of the output and then the top half of my screen starts at the bottom of the output. Same thing horizontally. The left edge is in the middle of the output, and then the right side "scrolls" over to the left side of the output). Hope that makes sense.

Here is what I have done:

1. Used all 8 inputs on the ATEM for the monitor input - same result for all inputs
2. Updated the firmware - same result.
3. Changed HDMI cables - same result.
4. Confirmed that the HDMI signal is okay before going into the ATEM - confirmed

Any ideas on what may be causing this?

ManchesterV

Re: ATEM Distorts Output from Computer Monitor

PostFri May 06, 2022 10:58 pm

It might be that your graphics driver and/or settings have changed due to an update.

Check the computer is sending 1080P at a reasonable refresh rate eg 59.94Hz.

Second thing to check is eliminating the splitter to make sure it’s not gone bad.

AlaskanInTexas

PostTue May 17, 2022 8:57 pm

ManchesterV wrote:It might be that your graphics driver and/or settings have changed due to an update.

Check the computer is sending 1080P at a reasonable refresh rate eg 59.94Hz.

Second thing to check is eliminating the splitter to make sure it’s not gone bad.

Thanks. For some reason it seems to be the mini displayport to HDMI adapter that goes into the splitter. What has me scratching my head though, is why I only have a problem if it runs through the ATEM - if I plug the HDMI going into the ATEM into a monitor, I get no distortion of the picture. There just seems to be something about the adapter output that the ATEM can't handle that a regular monitor can.

codedeltajames

PostTue May 17, 2022 9:59 pm

The issue you described is a timing issue - where all the pixel data is correct on the connection, but the sender and receiver disagree on the timing of what means what. Different recieving devices will have different tolerances on the range of signals they accept, so if you've got a borderline acceptably timed signal, different devices will react differently.

How to fix? First try another resolution - it may be that you can find a resolution that the atem is quite happy with that meets your requirements. If that doesn't work, see if there are driver options for refresh rate and/or timing. Intel in particular allow a lot of control over their timing information for motherboards (I know not relevant in this case), but if you change them sufficiently you can make any monitor give up - if you've got access to the settings, try changing them and see if the atem behaves. If you still have no luck, try looking for devices that will reclock/retime the signal, such as a decimator.

Unfortunately this is one of those "it's simple, just plug it in and it works" issues where there's actually a load of complicated stuff going on behind the scenes that means it's actually far from simple, and you've found a combination that doesn't work.

Return to Live Production