Teleprompter recommendation for Studio Camera 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

floh79

Teleprompter recommendation for Studio Camera 4K

PostSat May 07, 2022 1:51 pm

Hello,

I ordered a HyperDeck Shuttle HD and I have a Studio Camera 4k Pro and Manfrotto Nitrotech 608 fluid head on Manfrotto Fast Twin tripod.

Now I want buy a teleprompter for HyperDeck Shuttle HD. Do you have a recommendation for my setup? I never have/used Teleprompter until now so I don’t have any idea. I thought I could buy one from Neewer but I dunno if it fits my studio camera.

I’d prefer one which I can quickly add and remove the Teleprompter, so I don’t have to “disassemble” almost everything from the tripod. Maybe a teleprompter attached on it own tripod and “just place it in front of Camera”.

Best regards
Floh

arielm

Re: Teleprompter recommendation for Studio Camera 4K

PostMon May 09, 2022 1:09 am

I’d suggest getting an extra Manfrotto plate and attaching it to the teleprompter. That way you can move the camera between the teleprompter and tripod easily.

I do this with a pocket cinema 6K pro and it works pretty well.

I haven’t seen a teleprompter that didn’t accept the camera so you have a lot of flexibility depending on the screen you want to use in it.

One gotcha is that if you want to use the teleprompter for an input that isn’t already horizontally flipped you’ll need the monitor to have that option built in, and that’s not easy to come by on anything above 10” (which is expensive).

I solved this by adding a Decimator MD HX to handle the flipping and now I can attach any screen which gives a lot of flexibility on size and price.

James Leonard

PostTue May 10, 2022 2:06 am

There's a lot of variables to consider with Teleprompter purchases. What's right for one person will be different for another. The pricepoint you're looking at is the big one. then robustness, portability, size etc.
Sorry there's no easy answer. There's loads of reviews on Youtube, and looking in the reviews on B&H can also be valuable. However again negative reviews for one persons use case may differ from yours.

If you want a starting point, these are very cheap: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... mpter.html
I added some Smallrig parts to make it more usable and I'm happy for the price.

Now I'd like one that's larger and will be getting one of these:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ional.html
the reviews I read/viewed seemed like it fits our purpose.

Cheers

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue May 10, 2022 6:01 am

floh79 wrote:Now I want buy a teleprompter for HyperDeck Shuttle HD. Do you have a recommendation for my setup? I never have/used Teleprompter until now so I don’t have any idea. I thought I could buy one from Neewer but I dunno if it fits my studio camera.

the important thing is to get the right size, which depends on the distance between the camera and the anchor.
too large a prompter, and eye movements become very noticeable, which breaks the illusion, and heavily distracts the viewer

andisailer

PostTue May 10, 2022 6:14 am

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:too large a prompter, and eye movements become very noticeable, which breaks the illusion, and heavily distracts the viewer

That said, you can narrow the text, so that it only uses part of the width of the prompter, if it's too big or you are too close.

floh79

PostTue May 10, 2022 9:22 am

Hello thank you very much for your reply. I want to use a 10-11" Display and yes, I can set the viewable textarea smaller to reduce the "eyes-read-movements".

I just found one:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... stand.html

Now I have to find a german retailer who is selling similar thing like that.

Best regards
Floh

grankin

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 6:15 pm

Also consider that a teleprompter will almost certainly block the tally light on the Studio Camera 4k. I have a standard size teleprompter with beamsplitter glass and the tally light is completely blocked. It hasn't been an issue yet (only 1 camera at the moment), but once I get additional cameras the tally light issue will complicate production.

floh79

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 8:55 pm

Hi, I'm back with the same topic.

I didn't buy a teleprompter yet and now I'm planning to buy one. In the meanwhile I found out the included tripod mount already has two horizontal mounting holes where I could add rails for propmters.

Do you know which rails and prompter will suits to the included tripod mount? I'm still searching...

Best regards
Floh

marcaaroni

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 11:50 am

Will the studio cameras provide power for a small USB C monitor?
I’m looking at prompter solutions to use with the studio camera. It’s great that you can feed the script back through the camera and out of the HDMI, but what about powering the screen. I have been looking at USB powered 10” screens. I’m hoping I can power the screen via one of the cameras USB C ports..
Constellation 4K, ATEM Advanced Panel, VideoHub 20/20, Camera Control, SmartScopes 4K, Ursa Broadcast G2, Studio Camera 6K, Hyperdeck 4K Pro, Ultimatte 12 4K, UltraStudio Mini 4K, Web Presenter 4K

robertsmu

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 1:05 pm

We used the “One Take Only Pad Prompter for 15mm Rigs“ for this gig on the Ron Funches camera:

We used the BM HyperDeck Shuttle HD for the prompter, connected to an ipad via the ACCSOON SEEMO PRO.

It worked well, though required a bit of set up, and developing the workflow took a bit of time. But it was what I had lying around. It worked well for the performer.

marcaaroni

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 4:14 pm

Nice super source layout.
I have looked at using the Hyperdeck shuttle and using a hdmi splitter for the prompter feed and a computer monitor. But once the image has been flipped and mirrored it’s not going to be easy the track/manage of the computer monitor. Also it’s not a quick to edit the script as it has to be loaded via an SD card. How are you editing your script?
Constellation 4K, ATEM Advanced Panel, VideoHub 20/20, Camera Control, SmartScopes 4K, Ursa Broadcast G2, Studio Camera 6K, Hyperdeck 4K Pro, Ultimatte 12 4K, UltraStudio Mini 4K, Web Presenter 4K

robertsmu

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 8:27 pm

I did use a Decimator to flip the image on my monitor, so that made it easy. I ftp’d from laptop to the storage drive connected to the shuttle for access to script files.

https://lucid.app/publicSegments/view/5 ... image.jpeg

marcaaroni

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 10:46 pm

Cool solution. Thanks for the insight

Return to Live Production