Audio on ATEM Constellation HD outputs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

eMilty

Audio on ATEM Constellation HD outputs

PostTue May 10, 2022 12:14 pm

Now that the new ATEM Constellation HD models seem to be delivered now, I'm curious to hear what audio these models output on their outputs.

The previous line of ATEM models (including the top model Constellation 8K) always has PGM audio on every output. Even when you set an output to a direct input, the audio is always PGM audio. This makes it useless for ISO recording. This "feature" is also documented in the documentation.

However in the documenation of the new Constellation HD models this "feature" is not documented anymore. In fact, the documentation even states that directly routing an input to an output can be used for ISO recording.

So my question is to anybody who already received a Constellation HD unit, does the output indeed has the audio of the input when you route it directly?

robertsmu

Re: Audio on ATEM Constellation HD outputs

PostTue May 10, 2022 3:25 pm

Well on the website they say both "...The ATEM Constellation HD family have a massive number of fully independent 3G-SDI outputs... " and "...All SDI outputs contain program audio, RP-188 timecode, SDI camera control, tally and talkback..."

And this is the great weakness of the product, because ordinarily 24 fully independent outputs is enough for me not to require a videohub router to serve my production line.

Because if you are like us and outboard all audio mixing that is then combined with the ATEM program video output (using a Teranex) to create our master program feed, I can't send that master feed back into the ATEM for distribution using the 24 outputs...I def need a router.

codedeltajames

PostTue May 10, 2022 6:01 pm

With all those audio inputs it would be great to be able to assign them to different channels on the program audio output too. Most of my jobs I do we need full program audio on 1+2 and clean effects on 3+4, and the only way to do this at present is to stick the Atem output straight into an audio embedder and do it all there.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue May 10, 2022 10:33 pm

Yes, more flexible audio routing has been a much requested ATEM feature for several years now. And it became even more relevant with the ATEM Constellation 8K which has many more audio (and video) channels.

See the various previous threads on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=123303
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88822&p=498274#p496112
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99869
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=253&p=498249#p498244

Unfortunately, judging from the specs and manual for the ATEM Constellation HD, these new models seem to be pretty much the same as the earlier ATEM models in terms of audio handling.

As far as I can tell, the only really new feature introduced on the Constellation HD is support for a clock/timer overlay on Aux Output 1 as discussed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20334

Ben Doyle

PostMon May 30, 2022 2:38 pm

I've got 2 Constellation 8K's. If Blackmagic would just allow me to route certain inputs to the SDI output channels, my life would be so much easier on live productions. But alas, we've been asking for this for years now and they still haven't made such a simple thing possible.

It must seem weird to them to want to go back and edit live shows.

With the introduction of the HD series, I had high hopes for an overall audio upgrade across the whole line, but nothing so far. Apparently they feel that live productions should have outboard audio mixers and recorders, despite the marketing claim of the "world’s first live production switcher that fully embraces live professional audio production!". Most of my shows are single operator and this just isn't possible.

Please Blackmagic, if maybe you read only this thread in a long line of audio request threads...add SDI routing. Please.

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 31, 2022 12:13 pm

Yeah well.. It seems that BMD does not care about our needs..

In my opinion as a programmer and broadcaster, it should not be too difficult..
As for how it's now it is 16 audio channels:
1-12 is all PGM Stereo audio
13-14 = Intercom Tech
15-16 = Intercom Director

If only we got a config screen to route 3-12 and be able to connect Madi or Audio channels from SDI sources to it.. But seems to be pretty hard to do... :?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue May 31, 2022 12:20 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Yeah well.. It seems that BMD does not care about our needs..

In my opinion as a programmer and broadcaster, it should not be too difficult..
As for how it's now it is 16 audio channels:
1-12 is all PGM Stereo audio
13-14 = Intercom Tech
15-16 = Intercom Director

If only we got a config screen to route 3-12 and be able to connect Madi or Audio channels from SDI sources to it.. But seems to be pretty hard to do... :?

imho, you should be able to route any of the available buses to anywhere as you please, in a large routing matrix.

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 31, 2022 12:32 pm

For sure..

But at least being able to route at least a few sources...

But now we dont have any control what goes into your recorders and streamers.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

eMilty

PostTue May 31, 2022 3:08 pm

It's like I'm in need for dozens of audio submixes or anything, it's just that I want the possibility to directly route any of the 16 audio channels of any SDI input, internal source or AES input to any of the 16 audio channels of any SDI output. Just this routing capability already gives you so much flexibility.

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 31, 2022 3:29 pm

Correct.. If you now want to do 12G ( constellation 8K ) and embed channels 3-8 for other audio channels ( which often is used in TV studio's live events etc.. )

You need to add 3 extra Teranex Audio to SDI converters just to add 6 audio channels.. Adding 1500 bucks just to add a few audio channels..

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue May 31, 2022 9:38 pm

One good think would be , when U route any input (camera) to any output , U can send original audio to this output too ..

BTW : for 12G embedding im using this AJA card :

https://www.aja.com/products/og-dante-12gam

Very nice ..

http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue May 31, 2022 9:41 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:You need to add 3 extra Teranex Audio to SDI converters just to add 6 audio channels.. Adding 1500 bucks just to add a few audio channels..

I have 3 Teranex AUDIO to SDI in OBVAN and its connected to MIDAS stagebox with 8x AES ports .. And audio is not working good .. It have random peaks .. I was switched it to analog , but from 12 channels is only 6 :(
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Ben Harper

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 8:51 pm

Hi

A bump please on this feature request:

Allow an Aux Output to have selectable audio (either program audio OR routed audio from the video i.e. audio follows video) so we can route camera feed for ISO etc with the original audio tracks.

This must surely be coming up the feature list now it is very very well requested for many years!

Blessings,
Ben

Return to Live Production