PoE & ATEM Mini Extreme ISO/ production camera pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

GriotsGarage

PoE & ATEM Mini Extreme ISO/ production camera pro

PostThu May 12, 2022 6:48 pm

After visiting the BlackMagic booth at NAB, I'm really intrigued by the ATEM mini Extreme Pro, and the studio camera pro's. Particularly with their PoE function. I have dreams of running just one cable, 100+ feet from my control room to each camera, and be able to control the camera as well as save ISO recordings. I know the studio converter is required to utilize the PoE function, but could anyone see a reasonable way too get that feed back into an ATEM mini Extreme ISO? My concern would be converting SDI to HDMI to get it in, since there is no HDMI output on the Studio Converter.

Mrmattday93

Re: PoE & ATEM Mini Extreme ISO/ production camera pro

PostTue May 17, 2022 12:25 pm

Yes you will need a studio converter to provide the power and video connection. To the studio cam via Ethernet.

And as you identified you just then need to convert the sdi output to hdmi using something like Blackmagic’s SDI-HDMI 3G micro converter.

If you get the bi-directional version of the micro converter you could feed a programme feed from one of the atoms outputs into the studio converter for the camera operator to view as well.

Alternatively I’m not 100% sure on this but if you use a bidirectional converter and have it setup like this:
Studio converter > bidirectional converter sdi input > Atem input, and then you also connect another sdi cable from the bidirectional sdi out to the programme in on the studio converter you should get the control of the camera from the Atem software as well (you will need to set the camera number in the converter and the camera to be the same as the input it is plugged into on the Atem) as I said this may not work, but from I know with the Atem control signals and how it works with the other Blackmagic cameras I can’t see why this wouldn’t

Return to Live Production