Shuttle HD File Formats/Codec and Playback

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

bmac8385

Shuttle HD File Formats/Codec and Playback

PostFri May 13, 2022 3:21 am

Hello All and thanks for the help.

I'm unable to get the Shuttle HD to playback either ProRes or H264 video clips.
I prepare the clips in Final Cut Pro.
Please what is the correct codec for saving in either/each format? And what should be the correct menu setting on the Shuttle?

Extremely grateful for any guidance.

Billy

OwenCrowley

Re: Shuttle HD File Formats/Codec and Playback

PostSat May 14, 2022 1:35 am

Experiencing similar issues on my Shuttle HD running OS8.1 with an SD card formatted as HFS+. Regarding h264, it only plays h264 files created via recording on my Shuttle HD.

I have been able to get externally created ProRes files to play, in addition to ProRes files created by the Shuttle HD. However, even this is unreliable. For example, if I add more ProRes files to the SD card, the Shuttle HD may cease recognizing ProRes files it previously recognized. The only way so far that I have been able to get my Shuttle HD to recognize more than one ProRes file has been to record several ProRes files. But if I add or subtract ProRes files other than by recording, the Shuttle HD henceforth will only see one of the files.

Maybe I should try formatting the SD card as exFAT.

Searching within this forum, I see similar issues with Hypedecks going back a decade. If BlackMagic has not solved this in all these years, then maybe I made a mistake getting a Hyperdeck.

David Hutchinson

PostSun May 15, 2022 7:54 am

bmac8385 wrote:Hello All and thanks for the help.

I'm unable to get the Shuttle HD to playback either ProRes or H264 video clips.
I prepare the clips in Final Cut Pro.
Please what is the correct codec for saving in either/each format? And what should be the correct menu setting on the Shuttle?

Extremely grateful for any guidance.

Billy

If you read the marketing blurb carefully you’ll realise the shuttle can NOT play MP4 files.
We’ve had to change our encoding settings specifically for the shuttle as files that happily play on other new hyperdeck studios will just give a black screen output on the shuttle. I’m pc based so don’t use pro res rendering. However we now use in resolve the preset MXF OPA1 DNxHR SQ encoding WITH SUCCESS.

Obviously you need to set the shuttle to those settings too.

This is the marketing blurb that confirms h264 is recording only “ However you also get space saving H.264 when recording in NTSC, PAL, 720p, 1080p plus even true 1080i interlaced formats.”

OwenCrowley

PostSun May 15, 2022 4:44 pm

I finally got my Shuttle to play clips reliably. I rendered 32 clips with the same CODEC — ProRes 422 — and for good measure formatted my SD card HFS+ via the Shuttle's menus before copying in the 32 clips. All clips are now selectable by name using ATEM's HyperDeck integration.

Here is a concise playback troubleshooting video by Here to Record

Return to Live Production