ATEM mini Pro crashes / freezes in few hours

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JiiPee

ATEM mini Pro crashes / freezes in few hours

PostWed May 18, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi!

I have a virtual magic show studio, and i stream my show thru ATEM mini pro. The device is about 1.5 years old.
Now its crashing / freezing if its on for about 3-4hours. The monitor view goes dark, and its not responsing to any buttons. all the lights on the buttons are as they were before the freeze. Also it cuts the out going picture from usb-c.
Only way to get it working is to un plug the power and reset it. then it will work anything between 5-20minutes and crashes again.
I have the latest firmware inside, im inputing only two cameras and a microphone.

Any ideas why this would happen, or is the device just broken?

- Jp

JiiPee

Re: ATEM mini Pro crashes / freezes in few hours

PostFri May 20, 2022 6:34 am

so nothing?

eMilty

PostFri May 20, 2022 12:47 pm

This could very well be due to overheating. Some chips in the device run very hot and the fans inside the Mini's do not seems to respond well to this. They can run much faster than they usually do. E.g. when the device is in firmware update mode the fans are much louder. I would advice to add some external fans and see if that helps.

RazzProd

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:17 pm

I am suddenly having similar issues now too. I got my ATEM (the original) in 2020. Initially it would freeze up -- or at least the web cam part would stop working. But it worked great for at least the past two years. In the past month or so, it's back to the webcam freezing up at random times.

Sometimes it it freezes within 30 minutes of turning on the device. Sometimes its after the device has been on for several hours. So I don't believe it is caused by overheating. There's something else at play, and I haven't been able to figure it out.

In my case, I do lots of live streams and Zoom calls with the ATEM, routing it through OBS.

Return to Live Production