What products have multi recording + DaVinci project?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

chickenw1ngs5

What products have multi recording + DaVinci project?

PostMon May 23, 2022 6:54 pm

I came across ATEM mini extreme ISO which can record multiple HDMI inputs and saves it as a DaVinci project too. Very nice if you want to be flexible in the post-production.

My question is: do other Blackmagic products have this feature? Or something alike?
I want to record in a higher quality or other compression than H264.

I couldn’t find this function with other ATEM products, like ATEM 1 or 2 M/E. Seems to me that these should have a similar function? If not, what other ways are there to do this?

Asgeir Hustad

Re: What products have multi recording + DaVinci project?

PostTue May 24, 2022 4:32 pm

The generic name for this is "EDL" - Edit Decision List. There are options to add this functionality to other ATEMs - you get a file that can be imported to most editing programs, not just a DaVinci specific file.

This is definitely a feature that has been developed for the newer ATEM Mini's - but it's not impossible that it'll come to the larger ones. However, I'm guessing that the ATEMs will require having a form of storage connected, which is the main difference in the ATEM Mini line compared to the older ATEMs.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: What products have multi recording + DaVinci project?

PostWed May 25, 2022 7:47 am

Only the ATEM Mini switchers with ISO recording (ATEM Mini Pro ISO and ATEM Mini Extreme ISO) actually create a DaVinci Resolve project file.

But as mentioned above, it is possible to use 3rd party software to record an Edit Decision List (EDL) using any of the ATEM switchers. Note that you'll typically need separate video recorders for each of the video input sources (or use in-camera recordings), plus some kind of common timecode that you can use to match up the clips recorded on different devices. So it might be a bit more effort than on the ATEM Mini ISO models, but it's certainly possible to do this.

See these earlier threads for some EDL logging options:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138100
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130522
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66600

Return to Live Production