2ME Constellation 1080i <> 1080p Scalers

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ben Harper

2ME Constellation 1080i <> 1080p Scalers

PostWed May 25, 2022 10:17 am

Hi,

Does anyone else find the scalers in the new range of ATEM Constellations is just a bit awful?

We have four units here, running the latest software.
Putting the ATEM in 25p mode and feeding 1080i50 the cross conversion is unusable and framey.
Putting the ATEM in 50i mode and feeding 1080p25 also looks awful

Especially the multiviewer outputs also look really naff compared to the old units.
I know it's not a particular unit with an issue. I'm sure we've seen better deinterlacing/etc from Blackmagic in the past e.g. the UpDownCrossHD looks really good with these above signals. So it's surely something in the ATEM firmware...

Thoughts?

Xtreemtec

Re: 2ME Constellation 1080i <> 1080p Scalers

PostMon May 30, 2022 8:20 am

The multiviewers in interlaced on the Constellation ALWAYS looked awefull.. :?

We ran jobs that the Constellation was set to P50 just so the MV would not shake and shiver all the time..
And then down convert the outputs to i50 with a decimator for program line to TV..

It's another know issue that seems to have no priority at all..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MobileUnits

PostFri Jun 03, 2022 7:18 am

We just ordered a 4M/E Constellation HD to replace our 4M/E Broadcast 4K. One of the main reasons is the scalers on the inputs. I just assumed the quality to be comparable with the BM UpDownCross converters we currently use a bunch of. If they are far from as good we might be better off staying with the current setup. I haven't heard any verdicts nor critics regarding the input scalers on the 8K, are those different?

Egor Voronin

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 4:36 pm

MobileUnits wrote:We just ordered a 4M/E Constellation HD to replace our 4M/E Broadcast 4K. One of the main reasons is the scalers on the inputs. I just assumed the quality to be comparable with the BM UpDownCross converters we currently use a bunch of. If they are far from as good we might be better off staying with the current setup. I haven't heard any verdicts nor critics regarding the input scalers on the 8K, are those different?

on 8k version, de-interlacers are also bad

Return to Live Production