2ME Constellation 1080i <> 1080p Scalers

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ben Harper

2ME Constellation 1080i <> 1080p Scalers

PostWed May 25, 2022 10:18 am

Hi,

Does anyone else find the scalers in the new range of ATEM Constellations is just a bit awful?

We have four units here, running the latest software.
Putting the ATEM in 25p mode and feeding 1080i50 the cross conversion is unusable and framey.
Putting the ATEM in 50i mode and feeding 1080p25 also looks awful

Especially the multiviewer outputs also look really naff compared to the old units.
I know it's not a particular unit with an issue. I'm sure we've seen better deinterlacing/etc from Blackmagic in the past e.g. the UpDownCrossHD looks really good with these above signals. So it's surely something in the ATEM firmware...

Thoughts?

ManchesterV

Re: 2ME Constellation 1080i <> 1080p Scalers

PostWed May 25, 2022 2:30 pm

If it's the same scalers at the ATEM Mini then they aren't very good.

I asked a similar question about PsF with the Constellation HD but didn't get any replies.

The UpDownCross is better with PsF but not as good as an old ATOMOS Connect that does proper 2:2 pulldown.

With the TVS HD we run the switcher interlaced but run the output through a Teranex 2D to our encoder.

Ben Harper

Re: 2ME Constellation 1080i <> 1080p Scalers

PostWed May 25, 2022 4:24 pm

They're so bad that it's actually worse than the old days when you just got a black frame.
The problem is there's no feedback if they are being used. So until something with motion ends up on the ATEM you can't tell that it's doing a frame cross.
We don't aim to use the internal scalers we try and ensure everything is correct before hitting the ATEM but now and then something slips through and whereas before we'd know it was wrong (i.e. black) we'd faultfind it, now you sort of get this false sense of confidence.

Return to Live Production