Camera control on Studio 4K plus with ATEM Studio 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

W-presents

Camera control on Studio 4K plus with ATEM Studio 4k

PostThu May 26, 2022 9:47 am

Hi All,

I'm having some problems getting my tally and camera control to work on my Studio 4K Plus.
I've seen this work in video's using the Atem mini's but somehow this is not working for me now.

My current setup:
Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus

Connected with HDMI to the in port of a
Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G

Connect via two SDI's to the in and out of
Atem Television Studio Pro 4k

Anybody any suggestions?
I think I've tried everything.

Regards,
Erik

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Camera control on Studio 4K plus with ATEM Studio 4k

PostSat May 28, 2022 8:04 am

Make sure you have set the Camera ID number in the Micro Converter setup utility. This number needs to correspond to whichever ATEM input is being used for that camera. See pages 32-33 of the Converters manual: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 6704010000

For camera control signals over SDI, the camera control signals are included on the program output (which is typically sent to all cameras). This means that the shared SDI program output signal includes the camera control signals for every camera connected to the switcher.

The HDMI camera control signals are a bit different in that they are sent over an HDMI communication channel (HDMI CEC) which travel in the opposite direction of the video output signal from the camera. Since there is a separate HDMI cable for each camera, there is also an independent CEC communication channel for each camera. So the camera control signals sent over an HDMI connection are just the relevant ones for that camera.

When connected directly to the HDMI input of an HDMI switcher (like the ATEM Mini) the switcher just sends the relevant commands over the HDMI cable for that input. But when converting from SDI camera control signals (which include commands for all cameras on a single cable), the Micro Converter needs to be told which set of commands should be sent over the HDMI communication channel of the connected input cable. Setting the Camera ID in the Converter setup utility instructs the Micro Converter on which camera control commands apply to the connected input.

If the Camera ID is set correctly, one other thing to check is that you are using an HDMI cable that supports HDMI CEC (most cables should, but if a connector pin gets damaged it can interfere with the CEC signals).

And also make sure that you are actually getting the SDI return feed signal into the converter. You could confirm this by connecting an HDMI monitor to the Micro Converter HDMI output and confirm that it shows the program video from the switcher.

Return to Live Production