ATEM 4.2 panel drops connection when used through router.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jonas Bengtson

ATEM 4.2 panel drops connection when used through router.

PostMon Dec 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi!

During the recent Dreamhack event we had around 5 x 2M/E mixers with 4 x 2M/E panels, 6 x 1M/Es (with 2 panels around) and something like 3 x TV Studios and this error was present on all devices.

The problem is that on 4.2, the panels drops contact to the mixer IF NOT connected directly to the mixer and the router/switch to the panel. If the panel is connected to the router and the switcher to the router, the panel will eventually drop contact, rendering the mixer unusable for sometimes 10 seconds and sometimes until a hard reboot has been made. We tested all different network equipment, everything from right into the network fed by the big Cisco ASR 9000 to small Netgear & Linksys routers that wasn't even connected to a WAN. The issue was still present. We tested with ONLY Panel and Mixer into the router but the problem was still present.

Upon downgrading to 4.1.3 the problem is fixed, upgrading back to 4.2 reintroduces the problem ON ALL hardware. I would consider hardware error but since there are so many switchers here (total of 14 ATEM switchers) and all are showing the same problem on 4.2 the problem must be in the software.

A heads up for 4.3.

Liam Kennedy

Re: ATEM 4.2 panel drops connection when used through router

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks for the heads up. With your extensive testing (and downgrading to 4.1.2) this does seem like a firmware (software) issue with 4.2.

By the way... congrats on that event.. sounds like an incredible setup. Do you have any blog/articles/photos showing all your gear?
Last edited by Liam Kennedy on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

raver

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 4:45 pm

where can I get 4.1.3
Only find 4.1.2 at the support site

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 5:27 pm

He probably meant 4.1.2. Or at least that's the latest one I can find before 4.2 as well
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Talentwerk

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 11:56 am

I have this Problem 2 times during Show with 4.2 (10 sek) :cry:

Have anybody tried 4.21? is this problem solved?
:: Its about the message, not the way! ::

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 5:51 pm

I mean 4.1.2.

Liam, i will do a writeup on it when i have time during January. It's a big event, lot of interesting challenges.

This is NOT fixed in 4.21

xxedgexx

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 10:29 am

Jonas Bengtson wrote:I mean 4.1.2.

Liam, i will do a writeup on it when i have time during January. It's a big event, lot of interesting challenges.

This is NOT fixed in 4.21

Has Blackmagic acknowledged this issue? I did the downgrade tonight on our TVS to 4.1.3 and so far, things look very promising. I've been dealing with this issue for a long time now and was forced to bypass our switch due to the constant disconnects.

I'm fine with sticking with 4.1.3 if this fixes the problem, but I'm someone who is uneasy about being locked in to an old version.

We noticed the issue pretty severely with third party apps (using the Strata stuff on the iPad), and after the downgrade, this is the longest I've seen it connected without an interruption.

Jonas Bengtson

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 11:52 am

Hoping for 5.0 fixing this.

xxedgexx

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:59 pm

I spoke too soon. Downgraded to 4.1.3 and things initially looked good, but then started getting frequent disconnects again. Do I have to try 4.1.2?

Jonas Bengtson

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Try 5.0.

xxedgexx

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Woah, this must have been released today. I will try this. Thank you!

xxedgexx

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 4:20 am

This did nothing to improve my situation. I had to switch back to an isolated network using straight ethernet directly in to a dedicated machine. Obviously this limitation sucks since we have multiple computers on our network that we could take advantage of to control the switcher. I wish someone at Blackmagic would acknowledge this as a real problem. At this point I've literally switched out every piece of my network and even worked with BMD to replace the switcher itself. This is a software bug and it needs to be fixed. From simple searches, I'm obviously not the only person having this problem. There has to be some commonality between myself and those having the problem. Is there another device on my network that could be causing this?

Mike Squires

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 am

I think it's the panels. We've used the TVS with multiple computers connected to them at the same time, for long durations, and have never had this problem.

We don't use hardware panels, we simply use the software panel.

From what I've read in multiple threads, this possibly seems to be the culprit.

xxedgexx

PostWed Apr 09, 2014 5:16 am

Mike Squires wrote:I think it's the panels. We've used the TVS with multiple computers connected to them at the same time, for long durations, and have never had this problem.

We don't use hardware panels, we simply use the software panel.

From what I've read in multiple threads, this possibly seems to be the culprit.

I'm not using hardware panels. That might have been someone else earlier in the thread. I only use the software panel.

Linden deCarmo

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 3:12 am

I noticed while using METAControl that the ATEM TV Studio would suddenly stop responding to commands after about 90 minutes or so of usage. Sounds very similar to the symptoms you describe above (we use a switch also in our configuration).

The only difference is I only see the issue with WiFi clients (METAControl). I've never seen the problem with the Windows 7 based ATEM Software Control app.

I upgraded to 5.0 today in the hopes that it would solve the problem but it broke METAControl (iOS) so I can no longer control it with my iPad. The METAControl Android app stills work with 5.0 but I hadn't tried it previously so I can say for sure if anything is fixed. Did 5.0 solve your instabilities or do they still remain?

Thomas Seewald

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Only an idea: Maybe the ATEM counts reconnected sessions (what happens in WiFi networks) as a new connection, so the maximum amount of 5 connections will be reached...
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

xxedgexx

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 5:45 pm

My situation does not involve wireless.

Brian Judge

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Had this also with the intro of a panel! Set router IP off on 2nd sub net. BM as .10.1 and router as .1.1 still with sub net 255,255. cleared it up but went with Dumb switches instead to be sure! Not Ideal for all situations though! Might Help some!

Return to Live Production