Web Presenter HD RTMPS to Dacast/Limelight

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MichaelH75

Web Presenter HD RTMPS to Dacast/Limelight

PostSun Jun 19, 2022 10:53 am

Hi All,

I have searched the forum and not found a solution to this so hoping someone can help. 8-)
Configuring a new system with a ATEM Constellation HD 2M/E and a Web Presenter HD to stream to Dacast/Limelight but cannot get it to work.
I have written an XML to include the RTMPS credentials username and password but it does not work. It seems from google searching the Blackmagic devices do not work properly with streaming platforms using RTMPS. The solution for some other brands like Teradek and Matrox has been the addition of "/_definst_" to the end of the url but that does not work for me the the Web Presenter unfortunately.

Any help would be appreciated. The Web Presenter was meant to be a replacement for a damaged AJA Helo and I went that way for benefits like the confidence monitor on the front.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Web Presenter HD RTMPS to Dacast/Limelight

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 8:40 am

It is probably not an RTMPS issue as Facebook Live has required RTMPS for streaming since 2019 and the Web Presenters and ATEM Minis work fine with Facebook:
https://developers.facebook.com/blog/po ... oads-rtmps

The problem is more likely to be with the RTMP username/password authentication as there are various different approaches for authenticating RTMP streams and so it is entirely possible that the Blackmagic encoders do not support the authentication mechanism that Dacast/Limelight requires.

There have been several previous threads about difficulty streaming from Blackmagic devices to Dacast and Limelight CDNs due to these issues, and I'm not sure that anyone has had success without resorting to an intermediate server to handle the authentication issues:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112451
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122165
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=149375

MichaelH75

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 10:38 am

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Yes, I did not see anyone else with success on those threads. It would maybe help knowing exactly the format in the xml blackmagic use to create the correct metadata in the link? I am using an intermediate at the moment but it’s not ideal. I may investigate the data from the AJA Helo to see what formatting it uses and maybe relate it back to the Web Presenter .xml.

MichaelH75

PostSun Jul 17, 2022 9:19 am

Hi everyone,

Considering the obvious unsuitability of this product for my needs I am considering ditching and moving on to something else. I am considering a Magewell Ultra Encoder SDI as it seems to do everything DaCast/Limelight need to ingest. Still researching whether it can be set to CBR.

Is anyone using this combination of the Magewell and Dacast?

Return to Live Production