ATEM Mini Pro Output flickering or has white dots

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

StevenREM

ATEM Mini Pro Output flickering or has white dots

PostWed Jun 22, 2022 3:56 pm

Hi,

So I have been having issues with the ATEM Mini Pro HDMI Output.
Sometimes it works sometimes it flickers and adds white dots on the screen (You don't see the dots on the USB-C digital output for broadcasting)

Software VS: 8.5

Troubleshooting I have done:
- Tried another framerate and still get the dots.
- Used another HDMI
- Also another screen with no Luck
- Matching frame rate of Screen with ATEM
- I dont see the HDMI output missing any pins or is loose

IMAGE01 (1).jpg
White Dots
IMAGE01 (1).jpg (468.37 KiB) Viewed 3017 times

Any Help will be great

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ATEM Mini Pro Output flickering or has white dots

PostThu Jun 23, 2022 1:33 pm

Based on the fact that the artifacts do not appear in any of the other boxes in the multi-viewer, it suggests that the problem is with the video input signal from Camera 1 into the switcher (rather than an issue with the output).

So perhaps try using a different HDMI cable between the camera and the switcher or try using a different HDMI input on the switcher.

StevenREM

PostThu Jun 23, 2022 1:35 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Based on the fact that the artifacts do not appear in any of the other boxes in the multi-viewer, it suggests that the problem is with the video input signal from Camera 1 into the switcher (rather than an issue with the output).

So perhaps try using a different HDMI cable between the camera and the switcher or try using a different HDMI input on the switcher.

The thing is it's not.. as when you look at the program output from the USBc into our streaming program you dont see any dots.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 8:57 am

The USB-C webcam output is compressed using MJPEG compression and it also outputs full range video (whereas most video inputs would be legal range), so there is quite a bit of video signal manipulation that happens through that signal path. So I would generally have a bit more confidence in the multiviewer and HDMI output (both of which are uncompressed) to show you what the ATEM is receiving as video input.

But you could also try applying keying or other changes to the ATEM settings that manipulate the video signal to see how the artifacts respond. If you can apply a graphic or other overlay over the artifacts, that suggests is it an input problem.

If there were a problem with the output, you should see it appear when outputting color bars, graphics from the media pool, the color generators, or other internally generated content from the switcher.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:29 pm

Never seen that.

Have you tried different monitors?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

squarewheelsauto

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 3:43 pm

Found this thread as I randomly started experiencing this issue too. I don't think it's the HDMI inputs/cables, because the issue manifested on multiple inputs, all at once. Going to try a different output/monitor cable, but I don't thnk it will help... the issue is definitely in the video signals, there's no dots anywhere on the rest of the M/V interface.

20230113_103743.jpg
20230113_103743.jpg (925.52 KiB) Viewed 2419 times

StevenREM

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 4:59 pm

@squarewheelsauto

Best of luck. BlackMagic was no help at all..

I narrowed it down to possibly be the preview HDMI output was pushed down or people where wiggling the cable out when packing the equipment up and made the connection bad.

We went out and got a new ATEM sadly...

squarewheelsauto

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 5:42 pm

StevenREM wrote:@squarewheelsauto

Best of luck. BlackMagic was no help at all..

I narrowed it down to possibly be the preview HDMI output was pushed down or people where wiggling the cable out when packing the equipment up and made the connection bad.

We went out and got a new ATEM sadly...

Thanks Steve, that sucks. Definitely not confidence inspiring by any means - I was really hoping to rely on this stuff to "just work" when the time comes.

Updates:
1) Swapping output HDMI cables didn't help
2) Switching to 1080p23 instead of 1080p60 immediately eliminated the issue, switching back to 60 brought it back immediately
3) I switched to 1080p23 and took a 15 min beer break
4) Switched to 1080p60. No dots.

The symptoms are gone, but this isn't resolved for me - I still dont even understand what caused it to happen and what caused it to stop. I feel like I've got the herp and I'm just waiting for the next outbreak to show up. :roll:

StevenREM

PostFri Jan 13, 2023 6:44 pm

Yes Sorry i could not be any help...

If you can live with the Dots and Color issues I would just stick with it as if you are streaming using the ATEM USB the picture comes out with no issue in OBS for example..

The other issue i had with the ATEM preview output sometimes did not show any picture at all..

Tarek Saneh

PostSun Jan 15, 2023 4:10 pm

This issue is coming from interference 90% from the cables or power cables around or near the mixer
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

StevenREM

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 2:12 pm

Hey Tarek,

Thanks for the input but I dont think that is the issue as the USB input display on the computer has no issues.

I also used a number of different cables, Also brought it home over the weekend to do more test's and still had the issue.

joewoolworth

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 5:34 pm

I had the same issue but got it resolved. I bought a new atem mini pro, hooked it and used it for a couple of days. No issues, Then I ran the software update through the Atem Setup on my mac. After the update, I had the issue. White dots on every input on the multiview but not when streaming or recording.

So I downloaded the most recent version of the Atem Mini Pro Software from Blackmagic... Ran the update again. And the white dots were gone. Hope that helps you out too.

Return to Live Production