Black ghosting on Key & Fill with Constellation

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jason_05

Black ghosting on Key & Fill with Constellation

PostWed Jun 22, 2022 11:30 pm

Hi all,

I am using a Hyperdeck studio to playback ProRes4444 videos into my Constellation. I am taking the A and B out of the Hyperdeck and have the sources mapped to the Key and Fill positions for my DSK. Everything looks good and is working properly, except when the key moves I am getting a black trailing ghosting almost as if the videos aren't in sync to each other. If I jog through the video every frame is clean, it is only when the file is playing back at full speed that the ghosting is present.

My video is 1080@29.97 and the Constellation is set to the same rate. I have reference plugged into both the Constellation and Hyperdeck so I am curious as to what is causing this.

I mirrored the setup using a TV studio and the same black ghosting is present.

We have also tried different export settings for the video (i.e. 4444, 4444XQ, 8bit, 16bit, etc). The issue is the same with all files.

Open to other suggestions people may have to try or hopefully someone may know of a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Jason_05

Re: Black ghosting on Key & Fill with Constellation

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 7:07 pm

Following up on this, if I make this an image sequence and play this through the Media Player on the Constellation it is clean without the black ghosting. So leads me to think the issue is more with how the Hyperdeck is playing back the file as opposed to how the Constellation is handling it.

Asgeir Hustad

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 8:07 am

Have you tried without sending the reference to the HyperDeck, just in case?

Jason_05

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 6:32 pm

Asgeir Hustad wrote:Have you tried without sending the reference to the HyperDeck, just in case?

Yes, my initial setup did not include reference and I added as part of my troubleshooting process.

Jason_05

PostFri Jul 15, 2022 5:38 pm

I sent this is Blackmagic support and got the following answer back. I tested and it does work so here is the solution until it gets fixed if anyone else is having the same issue.

"We confirmed the issue of the Fill Signal (A) being one frame ahead of the Key Signal (B) on the Hyperdeck. This has been previously reported to our engineers but it's not know when or if the problem will be rectified. Kindly accept our apologies for this situation.

However there is a workaround if you'd like to pursue it. This can be on any input and output but this is the concept.

Fill Signal A on ATEM Input 1
Key Signal B on ATEM Input 2
ATEM Output 1 connected to ATEM Input 3
Set Output 1 to Input 1 Fill Signal

In the Luminance Key:
Fill Source will be Input 3 (Fill through Output 1)
Key Source will be input 2 (Direct)
Premultiplied Key

The signals will now be in sync."

Howard Roll

PostSun Jul 17, 2022 11:33 am

What a clever featuround.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production