Does mini recorder carry timecode over hdmi

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Henchman

Does mini recorder carry timecode over hdmi

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 12:44 pm

I want to do what this guy is doing in this video.
However, instead of using the hdmi to sgi converter. Into a decklink card, I wanted to know if I could simply use the mini recorder into the computer, to get the timecode from the hdmi signal.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Does mini recorder carry timecode over hdmi

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 5:09 am

In the DeckLink SDI, there is a BMDDeckLinkSupportsHDMITimecode flag which must be checked to determine whether the capture device supports HDMI timecode. Which suggests that some of the DeckLink and UltraStudio devices support HDMI timecode and other devices do not.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any kind of documentation anywhere about which DeckLink devices support HDMI timecode though, whereas most of the DeckLink and UltraStudio devices do support timecode over SDI (this is listed as RP 188 under SDI Metadata Support on the product pages for the various capture devices). Unlike SDI timecode which is a SMPTE standard (RP 188), HDMI timecode is not really an official part of the HDMI specifications, so it is not as widely supported.

I suspect that if you were able to find a capture device that supports HDMI timecode, it would have a decent chance of working as most of the rest of the timecode API in the DeckLink SDK is similar across different video input sources. The one limitation of HDMI timecode mentioned is that it only supports time data, but not any user bits.

If your DeckLink or UltraStudio device doesn't support HDMI timecode, then you'll have to use an HDMI to SDI Micro Converter 3G (or 12G). Just make sure you get one of the current models with the 3G (or 12G) designation on them as the original HDMI to SDI Micro Converters (without the 3G printed on them) do not support HDMI timecode conversion.

You might also ask this question in the Software Developers section of the forum as some of the people there tend to be more familiar with the capabilities of the various DeckLink capture devices.

Howard Roll

Re: Does mini recorder carry timecode over hdmi

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 1:44 pm

The other half of the question would be, Can Unreal use HDMI TC as a source?

The MiniRecorder 3G supports RP188 over SDI. Worst case scenario, the MR doesn't capture HDMI TC. Drop $50 bucks and put the 3G MicroConverter inline.

Don't get the 8K genlockable card then feed it 2K and never genlock it. Don't understand why Genlock was even mentioned in the video, dude doesn't seem to know what it is, where it comes from, or how to use it.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production