Decklink Mini Recorder does not show anything on SDI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

weeebro

Decklink Mini Recorder does not show anything on SDI

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 am

Hello,

I am using Decklink Mini Recorder to capture stuff on SDI. For SDI signal I have Micro Converter
HDMI to SDI 3G
converting my HDMI signal (which I can capture by this same card on HDMI) to SDI. But even though I can see it in OBS and capture video using ffmpeg while I use just HDMI, when I take the same HDMI signal, plug it in converter and try to capture the same thing over SDI, it displays nothing. I updated Decklink card, updated to converter, tried few other things but nothings seems to help.

Does anybody know?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Decklink Mini Recorder does not show anything on SDI

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 6:03 pm

A few suggestions:

1) Make sure that you have selected the input port you want to use (either HDMI or SDI) in the Desktop Video Setup utility as most of the DeckLink and UltraStudio devices do not automatically switch to the input with an active video signal.

2) Make sure that you are using a video signal format that is compatible with the capture device (you should be able to see the detected signal format, if any, in the Desktop Video Setup utility).

When using an HDMI connection there is a signal format negotiation (EDID) that happens between the video source and sink device. This means that connecting the same HDMI source to two different devices may produce a different result in terms of the output signal format. This may be relevant since the DeckLink Mini Recorder does not support video signals beyond 1080p30 or 1080i60 whereas the Micro Converter HDMI to SDI 3G supports video signals up to 1080p60. So it's possible that when you connect directly over HDMI to the DeckLink Mini Recorder it negotiates one of the lower-spec video formats (up to 1080p30 or 1080i60), but when you connect to the Micro Converter 3G it results in a higher frame rate 1080p60 video signal that the Micro Converter 3G can handle just fine, but the DeckLink Mini Recorder cannot.

Return to Live Production