ATEM 2/ME Production and the capture still button

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Sharuruu

ATEM 2/ME Production and the capture still button

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 8:05 pm

Hi Everyone.

I'm Charles from France, and my company just bought an ATEM 2M/E Production 4K and the advanced panel ^^
I have a question about the capture still button in the media player tab. I can't find it (ATEM software updated / I'm not sure for the switcher :roll: )

The thing is that the ATEM mini has this option. Am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance ^^ .

Tobias Dieterich

Re: ATEM 2/ME Production and the capture still button

PostSun Jul 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Only the minis and the new Constellation HD series have this feature.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 18, 2022 8:55 am

The OLD 2ME 4K which is 7 years old design.. I would not even recommend to buy it anymore.. As it is almost End of life..

Anyway there have not been any update to the Firmware of this Atem for the last 3 years.. And new updates are only for the new constellation lineup. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Sharuruu

PostMon Jul 18, 2022 2:58 pm

It's unfortunate not to have this option on the ATEM Production 4K (4000$ on BMD Website :roll: ) and not to have a clear view of what can and cannot be done with ATEM models.
Even if the product is old, I don't think it's impossible to add this simple function that a 400$ ATEM can do :) ...
(and the switcher has the 8.7.1 update btw)
DaVinci Editor and Fusion lover since 2017.
Live Director with ATEM Mini/Extreme/2ME Production 4K and Hyperdeck/Webpresenter products

codedeltajames

PostMon Jul 18, 2022 4:15 pm

Sharuruu wrote:Even if the product is old, I don't think it's impossible to add this simple function that a 400$ ATEM can do :) ...

However when it comes to the Atem's, it often is the case. They're not a general purpose computer with all the functionality defined in software, they're actual hardware mixers, with the functionality set at the hardware design stage - if the wires to link the required chips aren't on the board you can never fix this with a software update.

I don't think it's too surprising really that only the Atem's with webcam hardware have the ability to capture a still of the program output.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 18, 2022 7:06 pm

Sharuruu wrote:Even if the product is old, I don't think it's impossible to add this simple function that a 400$ ATEM can do :) ...

Oh i have no doubt the old Atem is more then capable to do it.. But on a sales standpoint the update the firmware up to a certain range of models.. Everything older is left AS IS..

And basically comes down to you want this feature??.. Great buy our new mixer 8-)

It's more a sales tactic then not able to do it.. But Backwards compatible is never done at BMD.. It's always forward only and Hey here is our new product with these new features.. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

andisailer

PostTue Jul 19, 2022 5:59 pm

Tobias Dieterich wrote:Only the minis and the new Constellation HD series have this feature.

Wait, the new Constellations can grab stills? You think this feature will be added to the 8Ks at least? Was one thing that annoyed me when switching from an Atem Mini Pro...

Tobias Dieterich

PostTue Jul 19, 2022 6:40 pm

andisailer wrote:
Tobias Dieterich wrote:Only the minis and the new Constellation HD series have this feature.

Wait, the new Constellations can grab stills? You think this feature will be added to the 8Ks at least? Was one thing that annoyed me when switching from an Atem Mini Pro...

Yes the new Constellation HD can... but seems like the 8k only has part of the name in common ;-)
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

magicmister12

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 2:45 am

hi. i really wonder if we could get an official statement to this topic "capturing stills with atem constellation 8k" from blackmagic design. bmd support, are u listening? thank you.

yesterday i was working with the atem 2 me and i loved the capture still button.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 10:01 am

You wont get an Answer.. Because this is a User forum driven by Users, and 2 BMD never talks about features unless it is released.

magicmister12

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 9:27 pm

hi Xtreemtec,

thanks for your post/answer. stay safe!

Return to Live Production