ATEM Extreme SDI Assignable outputs?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

SpudFarmProductions

ATEM Extreme SDI Assignable outputs?

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 11:44 pm

Are you able to assign what goes to each SDI output on the new atem extreme SDI? The reason I am asking is at our church (thanks to covid) we now have 2 switchers, 1 for in house and 1 for streaming, however the only thing we are using the 1 switcher for is to switch between our lyrics computer during worship and the streaming switcher which provides IMAG during the sermon. If I am able to assign the SDI outputs I could either use a macro to change the outputs of the 1 SDI out to the feed I need or use the buttons on the right side to switch what shows on that, but I would then need to send the multi to another SDI out. I hope that makes sense. We currently have the Atem Mini Extreme (HDMI) but we don't have the ISO so my second question is with the ISO are you able to select which inputs are recorded? I don't typically need to record all of the inputs on a normal Sunday but it would be nice to have the option for special services to record all the incoming cameras to edit in post. Thanks

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ATEM Extreme SDI Assignable outputs?

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 12:13 am

In regard to your first question, yes the SDI outputs on the ATEM SDI Extreme are independently assignable, so you could assign each output to one of the input sources, a clean feed (without any overlays), or the multiviewer. And you can change the output assignments on the fly, if needed. The one limitation is that all of the SDI outputs carry the same 2-channels of program audio, regardless of what video source they are assigned to output.

Regarding your second question, there is no configuration for which inputs are recorded on the ATEM ISO models. If you choose to use ISO recording, all of the input sources are recorded regardless of whether or not they have a video signal connected. Any empty video inputs don't seem to take up much extra space though, so there isn't a huge cost to recording these video signals (even if you don't need them).

jmagicuk

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 8:37 pm

Hi

I have been thinking of the same question.

Please can you explain how the other outputs can be selected, and their feeds changed.

Thanks

SpudFarmProductions

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 3:46 pm

I just got the new extreme SDI the other week and it’s pretty easy to assign the outputs, make sure your software is updated and on the top of the screen next to the macro drop down is a outputs category. If you click that it will drop down with SDI 1-4 and when you hover over each SDI output it will drop down again with the available options. In my case I will be plugging our projectors into SDI 1 as that is the output that is controlled by the bus on the right side of the switcher and will allow to cut to different inputs. If you have more than one output you want to control live you can set up macros to change specific outputs.

jmagicuk

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 1:16 pm

Thanks a lot. That’s all sorted.

Can I control the outputs by assigning them on stream deck ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpudFarmProductions

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 1:32 pm

That’s a great question, I don’t have a stream deck so I’m not sure, if you are able to control other functions and fire macros from the stream deck then it should work, I currently have 2 macros set to change sdi 3 to different feeds and it works fine. But I would be interested to know myself.

Cybershadow

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 2:08 pm

According to https://github.com/bitfocus/companion-module-bmd-atem the SDI model range is supported in the latest ATEM Companion Module (v.2.17.0) which is not yet part of the latest Companion release. Companion 2.3.0 still uses the ATEM module 2.16.0.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

ManchesterV

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 3:07 pm

The outs behave like AUX outs.

We switch AUX outs with Companion/Streamdeck on regular ATEMs.

ATEM SDI Extreme should be fine.

Return to Live Production