Which ATEM supports 2 webcam inputs?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MGadAllah

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 8:56 am

Hi,
Thanks
Thanks a lot for your valuable time helping me :)
MG!

LouisBacker

Re: Which ATEM supports 2 webcam inputs?

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 10:25 am

If you're referring to the ATEM Mini line of vision mixers, then you're looking at HDMI or SDI inputs only. There are no USB-type inputs for USB webcams across the ATEM range.

There are however budget PTZ cameras available with HDMI out. The basic ATEM Mini has 4 x HDMI inputs.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

MGadAllah

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 10:36 am

LouisBacker wrote:If you're referring to the ATEM Mini line of vision mixers, then you're looking at HDMI or SDI inputs only. There are no USB-type inputs for USB webcams across the ATEM range.

There are however budget PTZ cameras available with HDMI out. The basic ATEM Mini has 4 x HDMI inputs.
Thanks a lot LouisBacker for your reply.
I've 2 webcams Logitech c920, and a Canon 70D so which model of ATEM I may use to insert these 2 webcams and the 70D into it and then use them all with OBS?
MG!

LouisBacker

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 10:53 am

Just as an example link, this is the one you want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackmagic-Des ... B07XZKRDLB

It has 4 HDMI inputs. It also has a USB-C webcam out. This you can connect to your computer hosting OBS. OBS will then see the ATEM as a Webcam source.

You can also stream directly out from the ATEM Mini, without using OBS.

If you use the HDMI out of the ATEM Mini, you get a screen showing all camera inputs, video stream out, audio monitoring and data relating to your stream quality. So the ATEM gives you a much better GUI than if you stream via OBS.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

MGadAllah

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 10:57 am

LouisBacker wrote:Just as an example link, this is the one you want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackmagic-Des ... B07XZKRDLB

It has 4 HDMI inputs. It also has a USB-C webcam out. This you can connect to your computer hosting OBS. OBS will then see the ATEM as a Webcam source.

You can also stream directly out from the ATEM Mini, without using OBS.

Thanks a lot, LouisBacker for your reply.
But how to connect my 2 webcams Logitech c920 to ATEM MINI?
I can see the HDMI for the Canon 70D, but what about the webcams?
The link you thankfully provided shows only 1 USB type C for output, but what about the USB inputs to connect webcams to ATEM MINI? or was I am confused it wrongly?
MG!

LouisBacker

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 11:01 am

The Logitech c920 is USB out only. You cannot therefore plug them into the ATEM, so as I mentioned, you'd need to source HDMI cameras, or you can plug the Logitech C920's directly into your OBS computer and pick them us as webcam inputs.

MGadAllah

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 11:04 am

LouisBacker wrote:you can plug the Logitech C920s directly into your OBS computer and pick them us as webcam inputs.
Thanks for clearing things out for me.
If I did this scenario, will I be able to switch between webcams using ATEM MINI buttons?
Also, will I find it creates Davinci Resolve project ready-made?
My main point is to save time and processes because I will be sitting in the same place and everything is fixed, so I just want to shoot and encode without editing and upload it to YouTube.
MG!

LouisBacker

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 11:07 am

The alternative is not to use an ATEM at all and but an HDMI to USB capture device for your Canon 70D.

That way you mix and stream everything in OBS.

Here's an example of a good quality HDMI to USB capture box. Cheaper ones can fail more easily.

Good luck with it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITNOW-Captu ... 84&sr=1-12

MGadAllah

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 11:14 am

LouisBacker wrote:The alternative is not to use an ATEM at all but an HDMI to a USB capture device for your Canon 70D.
That way you mix and stream everything in OBS.

Much appreciated your help indeed.
Will I have any audio-video sync issues?
Also, the main reason for thinking about ATEM MINI is to have everything as ready as possible, I mean that I've read using ATEM MINI will produce a ready-made project for you, and that was the main point for me because I want to save time.
I am not streaming at all, but just recording and then uploading to YouTube, but I want to have different angles and want to have the project ready for me as possible to reduce any steps I may do because I will record a lot on a daily basis.
I may sacrifice or drop the Canon 70D and only use the 2 C920.
Please suggest!

-later edit-
If I am using 2 webcams with OBS, can I use ATEM MINI to switch in between them?
MG!

codedeltajames

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 11:38 am

No Atem mixers support inputs from USB devices. All of the Atem Mini line only support inputs from HDMI.

You will not be able to use any Atem Mini to switch feeds in OBS - it only deals with switching it's own inputs.

Multiple separate devices into OBS will almost certainly cause sync issues.

MGadAllah

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 11:50 am

codedeltajames wrote:Multiple separate devices into OBS will almost certainly cause sync issues.
Thanks a lot for your help.
That way I will drop using webcams.
That means more investments to get another camera :(.
I will only do a head and shoulder view angle and will use 2 cameras.
The distance is about 1.2 meters away from the camera.
Which camera may you suggest? and which lense? and is it mandatory to get another identical model for what I have?
What I am looking for is to sit and hit record and switch angles during recording every 2 minutes or so and then hit stop and find Davinci project ready then encode then upload.
I do not want to spend any time editing.
This is why I am considering ATEM MINI.
MG!

LouisBacker

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 1:38 pm

I suggest a camcorder or PTZ with (preferably) a full-size HDMI out.

Buy two identical models, so that exposure control, colour and overall performance is identical. Lenses are built-in. You won't need anything more than 10x zoom for the type of application you've mentioned.

I can't advise on what to get, that's a decision for your budget.

MGadAllah

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 3:55 pm

LouisBacker wrote:I suggest a camcorder or PTZ with (preferably) a full-size HDMI out.
And this can be connected to ATEM MINI?

-later edit-
For fixed space, and fixed place, and for head and shoulder view only, and for an HD 720P, am I need to get expensive cameras?
I mean if I want to get 3 identical cameras with HD out to connect it to ATEM MINI, which models may you suggest?
And do I need a high lens or what for 1.20 meters fixed distance?
I just want to set and hit record then find the project crated automatically in DaVinci resolve studio so I can just encode and upload.
MG!

LouisBacker

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 9:54 pm

With the level of knowledge you have, it's best to contact a video equipment retailer local to you and have them advise what make and model cameras best suit your requirements, and are readily available where you are.

MGadAllah

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 10:36 pm

LouisBacker wrote:With the level of knowledge you have, it's best to contact a video equipment retailer local to you and have them advise what make and model cameras best suit your requirements, and are readily available where you are.
I am afraid that I do not have any in my local area and this is why I am going on my own.
I always keep learning, but it happened a lot that I pay a lot of money due to poor knowledge :lol: and this is why I am here.
I do hope anyone will advise as I will get it from eBay.
MG!

Raphaël Jacquot

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 8:17 am

MGadAllah wrote:But how to connect my 2 webcams Logitech c920 to ATEM MINI?

there are no USB inputs on the Atem mini(s)
however you could use a raspberry pi to decode the USB video and output it as hdmi

MGadAllah

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 8:20 am

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
MGadAllah wrote:But how to connect my 2 webcams Logitech c920 to ATEM MINI?

there are no USB inputs on the Atem mini(s)
however, you could use a raspberry pi to decode the USB video and output it as hdmi

Thanks for your reply.
Please, what is the minimum good camera that supports HDMI out and has 720p, so I can get 2 or 3 identical cameras and connect them all to ATEM MINI?
The previous replies make me change my mind to drop webcams as it is not supported by ATEM MINI.
Using raspberry pi will add more steps and I want to make it as simple as possible.
MG!

Return to Live Production