Switch sources for Supersource

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

floh79

Switch sources for Supersource

PostThu Aug 04, 2022 11:45 am

Hello,

I'm planning to buy an ATEM 2 M/E Constellation HD and an ATEM SDI Extreme ISO. Before I decide for an ATEM 2 M/E Constellation HD, I want to know how Supersource works. I didn't find that in Youtube yet.

Let asume, you have Supersource with 4 PiPs running. Then you want to switch the source for one of these four PiP. Does it work? If yes, would transistion work so I can smoothly switch (so no CUT), or is that not possible? Or does it depends on the Constellation-Model? Can ATEM SDI Extreme ISO do such transistion?

Best regards
Floh

eMilty

Re: Switch sources for Supersource

PostThu Aug 04, 2022 11:55 am

With the software control you can manually switch the source for each super source box. This would be equivalant to a CUT.

In order to use transitions inside a super source box you would have to utilize the second M/E. The output of M/E 2 can also be used as a source for one of the super source boxes. With M/E 2 you have access to all transitions.

floh79

PostThu Aug 04, 2022 12:18 pm

Ah good to know. So Supersource doesn’t use any Ressource from other M/E-Units? Then Constellation 2M/E HD would be fine for me.

Sad there is no 4K Constellation and I won’t buy 8K since it seems it is not getting firmware updates and no p60 framerates.

Best regards
Floh

Cybershadow

PostThu Aug 04, 2022 1:21 pm

Correct. The Super Source is completely independent from the two DVEs that you get with the M/Es.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Aug 04, 2022 10:46 pm

We have Constelation 8K in TV .. It have 2 supersources .. We use 2ME panel , so u see 2 ME directly .. For supersource setting we use about 10 macros with layout of boxes .. And input are ME2 preview and ME2 program .. So videoeditor only load macro , and on ME2 select program and preview (cameras, or discord, etc) .. Its very quick .. U can do it with constelation me2 HD .. And u can use for example stream deck .. to load inputs into supersource boxes ..

IMG_4536.jpg
IMG_4536.jpg (830.47 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

floh79

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 11:14 am

Hello Roman,

that is the direction I think to setup. I'm using StreamDeck with Companion and would use that for macros.

Btw. nice picture and interesting customer (eSport :) ).

I've got a Idea. Am I able to use alpha for a Supersource-source? So I could use macro to let make a source smoothly transparent, change the source, then remove transparence for that. You understand what I mean? With this trick I wouldn't need the second M/E for transistion. :idea:

Best regards
Floh

codedeltajames

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 11:22 am

floh79 wrote:I've got a Idea. Am I able to use alpha for a Supersource-source? So I could use macro to let make a source smoothly transparent, change the source, then remove transparence for that. You understand what I mean? With this trick I wouldn't need the second M/E for transistion. :idea:

Best regards
Floh

You can't use transparency - but you could use a DVE on the same M/E to do a similar effect - DVE with flying key positioned to be directly over the appropriate box with your new feed routed to it, run an auto transition on it to bring it into view, then switch the underlying source on the supersource and transition out the key again. This does tie up one of the DVE engines though.

You can also use a similar technique to take a supersource box to/from fullscreen by animating the flying key.

floh79

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 12:18 pm

Ok, I see... I think I should play around SuperSource as soon as I get Constellation 2M/E HD and SDI Extreme ISO. The SDI Extreme ISO is ordered because I always want have a failback solution in case any device is not working (defective).

Best regards
Floh

Jeff P

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 1:26 pm

I don't know if it would meet your workflow, but there is an app for iPad/iPhone called Mix Effect that can control the whole switcher, but the primary function of it is to control Supersource. (The app's designer is a member here... @Adam Tow )

It gives the user a more intuitive interface for building Supersource layouts (the BMD interface is pretty clunky), but more importantly it allows you to animate between layouts. So in your case of a 4 box layout, you could slide one source out, and slide the replacement in, or slide one box out and center the remaining 3, or any other combination.

https://mixeffect.app/

floh79

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 2:02 pm

Nice, thank you for your hint. :idea:

andisailer

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 7:42 pm

+1 for mixeffect. Since you're using Streamdeck already, the mixeffect app has a Companion plugin that lets you assign supersource presets to the buttons. Complete with picture representations of the layout for the button background.
You could run a whole show on animated supersources...

floh79

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 7:54 pm

Sounds great. In the meanwhile I did read a litte about the application. I think I'll buy the application for my iPad. Especially the companion plugin is very interesting. This is included in $49?

adamtow

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 7:25 pm

floh79 wrote:Sounds great. In the meanwhile I did read a litte about the application. I think I'll buy the application for my iPad. Especially the companion plugin is very interesting. This is included in $49?

MixEffect developer here. Yes there is a module for MixEffect that comes with Companion. It can also be controlled via the Generic OSC module for commands that have yet to be supported by the native module.

Lots of documentation on how to use the app here: https://docs.mixeffect.app
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

floh79

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 11:03 am

Kudos for good documentation :!: Thanx.

Return to Live Production