Dilemma 4K-Mixer

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

floh79

Dilemma 4K-Mixer

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 10:51 am

Hi everybody,

I have a dilemma because I‘d like to buy a 4K-Mixer. Unfortunately the 4K mixers from Blackmagic are becoming outdated and I‘d prefer a Constellation 2M/E 4K if BMD would release it. :idea:

The existing Constellation 8K is way too expensive for my use cases and I don‘t need that many connections. And I have heard that they don‘t get further firmware updates. I believe the other 4K mixers like ATEM Production Studio 4K also won‘t get any updates :?:

Both have max framerate 59,94 and I prefer 60fps. That is why I should buy a Constellation 2 M/E HD but I don‘t want to buy it if a 4K version could be released soon (maybe in the next months :?: ). I don‘t want to buy everything twice since the 4K version would replace the HD version in my case. :roll:

For now I‘ll order an ATEM SDI Extreme ISO, I‘ve made up my mind about that already. Then I have enough HD-Mixers. After that, I thought I‘d buy a Constellation 2M/E HD as a reserve device so we always have a fallback device in case something breaks down. Currently we‘re using our vMix Servers for 4K Production but I‘d prefer a non-PC-Mixer, and also to only have four SDI connections in total with a Decklink 8K is a limiting factor (vs Constellation with 20x in and 12x out).

My current thought: Wait till 4K is released. But I‘m afraid that nobody knows, when it will be released and the last 4K Mixer has been released some years ago. I‘m aware that a 4K version will cost more than the HD one.

Maybe we have someone here, who is good at reading the future of BMD-device releases? :ugeek:

Your thoughts?

Best regards
Floh

Jim Simon

Re: Dilemma 4K-Mixer

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 2:55 pm

We have two of these. Price isn't too bad.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... tudiopro4k
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

floh79

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 4:40 pm

Hello, thank you for your hint. Isn’t the max output framerate 59,94 as described in the specs? Also it lacks if supersource unfortunately.

Floh

IsseSwe

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 5:16 pm

Wait and see what will dropon IBC in August. Not impossible they will launch a 4k version of the constellation HD series ;-)
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

floh79

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 6:28 pm

Good idea. It’s in Amsterdam, isn’t it? When august? If
I see the website from IBC. It says IBC2022 will take place on 9th - 12th September.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 8:04 am

Yeah i have a gut feeling the Constellation 1ME 2ME and 4ME 4K will launch on IBC. Replacing the old 4K range entirely.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rogersuski

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 4:43 pm

Perhaps the Constellation HD 4ME will be EOL and the Constellation 4k 4ME will be "available immediately"

floh79

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 6:52 pm

I agree Xtreemtec and also think, the new Constellation 4K will replace the current 4K Products like 1/2 M/E Production Studio 4K and 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K.

The Constellation 4 M/E HD is a new product, so I don’t believe it will be EOL’ed so soon. Why would BMD do that?

Best regards
Floh

PS: Why does it take so long till 9th September? :roll:

rogersuski

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 7:51 pm

I guess it is just random hopeful thoughts.

It wouldn't make sense to EOL a new product, but until one of us gets a 4M/E unit in our hands, we don't know it is a real, tangible product.

If chips are similar across the Constellation line, are supply constrained, and there is a 4K Constellation line announced, I'd for sure pony up a modicum more money to get a 4ME 4k unit rather than a 4ME 3G unit.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 8:47 pm

The chips are far from the same across the constellation lineup..

The 4ME 2ME and 1ME all use a different FPGA set. Same brand same line.. But different pin counts, and different tiers.

Meaning the 4ME FPGA has a lot more calculations per clock capability then the lower tier versions that are used in 1ME and 2ME..

But Xillinx FPGA are freaking hard to get at the moment.. Especially the higher tier models.. And also the price increase on those is going trough the roof at the moment..

These kind of FPGA's from the higher tier are also used in Tesla's, Playstations etc.. So big companies are bidding over each other to get those chips as they all need to produce and sell products..

Welcome to the big Clusterf*ck called Chipmarket post Covid-19
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David_Anderson

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Yeah i have a gut feeling the Constellation 1ME 2ME and 4ME 4K will launch on IBC. Replacing the old 4K range entirely.

How good is your "gut feeling"? :D
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

floh79

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 2:05 pm

Wanna start betting? :mrgreen:

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 3:01 am

Considering that Blackmagic just announced a bunch of inflation related price increases for various products including the current 4K ATEM switchers, it's possible that those models may be sticking around for a bit longer: https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/08/10/ ... increases/

It doesn't seem like there would be much point in the price increases for those particular models if they were a few weeks away from being discontinued and replaced with new 4K switchers.

floh79

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 7:55 am

Fair point, but on the other side, the replaced devices will further sold till the last remaining device is sold at BMD (not the seller, this is another story). Also for the discontinued devices Grant want explain us the price increases (instead of dropping prices because of EOL).

Best regards
Floh

David_Anderson

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 12:33 pm

Interesting point. I guess we'll find out in September. The other possibility is that BM doesn't want to tip their hand that new models are coming out so they just increased the price across the board. The only things that would move me to a 2ME 4k Constellation would be the Fairlight console (if they fixed the low audio issue (which it appears they haven't) and the scalers on each input would be a bonus but not really necessary because I always feel it's in my best interest to standardize all inputs anyways. In the rare instance I can't I just use a decimator for a laptop or some other devices.

I may just stick with what I have.

Thanks,

David

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Considering that Blackmagic just announced a bunch of inflation related price increases for various products including the current 4K ATEM switchers, it's possible that those models may be sticking around for a bit longer: https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/08/10/ ... increases/

It doesn't seem like there would be much point in the price increases for those particular models if they were a few weeks away from being discontinued and replaced with new 4K switchers.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

David_Anderson

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 8:03 pm

Reviving this post to see what tomorrow brings! :D

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

floh79

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 10:28 am

While IBC 2022 is running there is no further news on Blackmagic Design website (except the new Ultimatte 12). So we can assume there is no new 4K switcher announced yet? Did anyone from you visit the IBC?

I'll go to IBC tomorrow, maybe I can tell you after my visit.

Best regards
Floh

Howard Roll

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 6:47 pm

I don't see how Blackmagic can release an updated 4K switcher without burying the Constellation 8K. Nobody is really using 8K so that alone is a going to be a hard sell compared to a newer 4K switcher with advanced features. It seems to me that if BM releases a new 4K switcher it would necessitate a massive update to the Constellation 8K or a considerably higher price tag than the current 2/4 ME switchers.

Good Luck

Xtreemtec

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 7:02 pm

Nope no new Atem mixers.. And even the 4ME HD is not at IBC.... Its just not ready it seems..

The fact they now have a Constellation 8k, Hyperdeck 8K, Ultimatte 8K, SDI>Hdmi 8K..

You wonder when they would launch a camera in 8K.,.. Because what are you going to do with a Ultimatte 8K without any cam that will push 8K... :lol:

floh79

PostSun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 am

Howard Roll wrote:I don't see how Blackmagic can release an updated 4K switcher without burying the Constellation 8K. Nobody is really using 8K so that alone is a going to be a hard sell compared to a newer 4K switcher with advanced features. It seems to me that if BM releases a new 4K switcher it would necessitate a massive update to the Constellation 8K or a considerably higher price tag than the current 2/4 ME switchers.

Good Luck
This is a viewpoint. The other viewpoint is: Do you think everybody is willing to pay 10k for 8K if they only need 4K? I think, if they release 4K they will sell more in numbers than the Constellation 8K.

Also its sad that Constellation 8K doesn't get any updates but the Constellation HD. :cry: If they want to sell Constellation 8K it would make sense if they keep update them (because someone complaints about missing features/improvements for 8K pendants).

Xtreemtec: Seems so... now drop from 10k to 5k € for Constellation 8K please.:lol:

Best regards
Floh

floh79

PostSun Sep 11, 2022 6:14 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Nope no new Atem mixers.. And even the 4ME HD is not at IBC.... Its just not ready it seems..
Hi I visited IBC 2022 today and can confirm the post from Xtreemtec. The only new announced device is the Ultimatte 12 series.

I believe the releases of new developed devices are a little on hold due to chip shortages/supply difficulties (as we see Constellation 4M/E HD). Why release if they cannot produce then? Sad but not their fault about the situation!

Best regards
Floh

Return to Live Production