Bluescreen on URSA Viewfinder when Main SDI is connected

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

GMarsack

Bluescreen on URSA Viewfinder when Main SDI is connected

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm

Hello BMD community! I recently purchased a used Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K with the View Finder (and a ton of other stuff). I'm loving what I see so far. Question though:

The Viewfinder shows a blue screen whenever my Main SDI out is connected to a BMD Micro Converter (which in tern is connected to a ATEM Mini Extreme). I've tried connecting the Main SDI a 3G SDI to HTMI converter (non-bi-directional) as well as a BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G Micro Converter (so I can control the camera - which works). As soon as I connect either of them, the viewfinder appears to shut off or perhaps the Front SDI becomes disabled and shuts off.

I know the viewfinder (Front SDI) and the Main SDI can be in use at the same time as I've tested the camera / viewfinder with a SDI cables directly connected to a BMD Television Studio HD (everything works, including Tally Light) and I get a live feed plus access to the View Finder like one would expect.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can try to get the View Finder working when using a Micro Converter or do I need to step up to a beefier solution when converting to HDMI? This seems like an edge case, I know, but would love to know if this is possible.

Thanks community!

GMarsack

Re: Bluescreen on URSA Viewfinder when Main SDI is connected

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 3:17 pm

Hey Everyone who reads this.

I managed to figure out my issue. I'm new to Micro Converters and the requirements for my Blackmagic EVF and didn't realize that the EVF and Micro Converter required that although the single HDMI connected to the HDMI OUT on the Micro Converter connects to the corresponding HDMI IN (1-8) on the switcher allows the attached pop out touchscreen viewfinder (5" screen) on the URSA detects tally and preview (shows a red border or green border when tally signal is received), you must also supply the Micro Converter a return feed from the ATEM back to the HDMI IN port on the Micro Converter for the EVF to operate.

I guess internally the wiring is a bit different in that the URSA doesn't send the Tally signal into the front 3G-SDI port even though it knows there is Tally (if looking at the pop out screen) but rather the 3G-SDI front port gets it's information only when both Micro Converter's HDMI ports and SDI ports are populated.

A positive here is I now am able to get a program feed back into my URSA and can use the PGM feature to watch what is being shown at the switcher. Bonus!

Anyway, hope this helps someone else who might be new to all of this (like myself).

Return to Live Production