Blackmagic Studio Camera 4k Plus delay Vs Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Daniel Wye

Blackmagic Studio Camera 4k Plus delay Vs Pro

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 11:06 pm

Does anyone have experience with Blackmagic Studio Camera 4k Plus frame delay vs the Pro model using a SDI to HDMI converter? Will the two cameras be close in sync? Are they usable together like this?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Blackmagic Studio Camera 4k Plus delay Vs Pro

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 2:43 am

The delay added by the Blackmagic SDI to HDMI converters is minimal, it is measured in video lines (not frames), so the exact amount would depend on the resolution and frame rate, but it usually works out to less than 1 ms.

So I wouldn't anticipate any noticeable output delay differences between the two cameras, even with one going through a converter.

The only converters you would need to worry about are ones that do scaling and frame rate conversion, such as the Mini Converter UpDownCross HD, as that converter does add some latency when scaling is used.

Daniel Wye

Re: Blackmagic Studio Camera 4k Plus delay Vs Pro

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 9:38 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:The delay added by the Blackmagic SDI to HDMI converters is minimal, it is measured in video lines (not frames), so the exact amount would depend on the resolution and frame rate, but it usually works out to less than 1 ms.

So I wouldn't anticipate any noticeable output delay differences between the two cameras, even with one going through a converter.

The only converters you would need to worry about are ones that do scaling and frame rate conversion, such as the Mini Converter UpDownCross HD, as that converter does add some latency when scaling is used.

Thanks :) I guess my question really is how much delay between the SDI and HDMI, I'm hoping within a few ms

Return to Live Production