The Basic Startup Solution for Live Streamers

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ValentinoLuna

The Basic Startup Solution for Live Streamers

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 1:25 pm

I researched the best video editor for videos, photos and 3d graphic art which lead me to BMD.

I downloaded the free software and almost purchased the Studio Software but got lost when The Cloud Service populated and did not work after purchasing as I needed to purchase more software for to convert my files to upload into the cloud and into the editor program.

2 months later I am still without a proper editor. BMD was referred to me by one of my affilliate partners for Live-streaming with great resolution. Unfortunately I am stuck.

I have 2-4k cameras (one day I’ll Graduate to all BMD Cameras) for recording and post editing, and 2 USB Webcam Cameras that I use to stream with and a graphic capture card for my gaming display for OBS.

Now the question is is this: Do I purchase the ATEM SDI since I can film for post editing and Stream Live, or Do I get the ATEM Constellation HD?

Which is the best product/device to start with knowing I will be streaming and recording using multiple cameras for a long-term solution for a proper Segway into utilizing the content for VR Content and 3D conversion using Fusion?

Any tips shared with me will be helpful & will be useful as I am documenting my live streaming tech experience for a tutorial Series I am creating for YouTube and for Future Streamers that sign with my Agency worldwide in multiple languages.

Thank you in advance. Your feedback will help me not waste money, time and energy using the wrong products and services as I have already experienced more times than I’d like to admit.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: The Basic Startup Solution for Live Streamers

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 10:05 pm

I think Constelation 2ME HD is good , because it have SUPER SOURCE ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

floh79

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 6:36 am

ATEM SDI Extreme ISO also has a supersource.

@Valentino: You’re aware that these mixers work in HD, not 4K?

Best regards
Floh

Cybershadow

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 12:33 pm

Regarding (gaming) live streaming, I see several routes you can take and ultimately achieve the same result.

The first route is the logic continuation of a classic live (gaming) streamer setup. You feed all your sources into a streaming PC and use a software switcher like OBS Studio, Streamlabs or vMix to create your scenes. You can still use professional (SDI) cameras with this setup when you equip your streaming PC with a Decklink card.

Advantages of an all-software-setup is the ease of integrating web sources like steam elements and more over all flexibility when creating your scenes.

The other route is based on a classic live production setup (= "live TV"). You ingest all your sources into a hardware switcher (e.g. ATEM Mini Extreme ISO or ATEM SDI Extreme ISO), do all the heavy lifting (switching, scaling (DVE), keying, ...) in hardware. You would typically output your stream overlay on two SDI channels (key/fill) using a decklink card or an ultra studio and do the compositing on your switcher.

The main advantage of this setup is that it is rock solid and you can record your sources as individual ISO files. I've experienced a lot of weird glitches up to breaking the entire stream with OBS and Windows and none with an ATEM based setup.

A somewhat in-between solution would be using an ATEM Mini Extreme ISO to do the switching/keying etc. and still stream from OBS using a single static scene consisting of the pre-mixed ATEM output and a web source overlay for stream elements.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

Return to Live Production