I am Complaining - It can't be just me- Something is wrong

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mcottam

I am Complaining - It can't be just me- Something is wrong

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 7:55 am

Hello Blackmagic. I've spent some time putting a project together. I've purchased a few pieces of gear from Blackmagic in China. I live in Xi'an. But I'm British.

I just received the new ATEM ISO SDI.

Here is my complaint. I first got an ISO HDMI MINI, I had to send it back because the HDMI 1 was dead. I then got an ISO Extreme and I recently found the HDMI Output 2 was dead, but I had never used it, I only have one monitor. Now the new ISO Extreme SDI has arrived to replace the broken HDMI version and it has something loose inside it and it makes a load vibrating noise when you hit the keys.

So that is three ATEM Switches that have been bad out of four. I'm glad to say the Hyperdeck Shuttle and Hyperdeck HD have been OK, as well as my two 4K Cameras. But three faulty ATEM'S in a row is a bit of a concern.

I would like Blackmagic to consider replacing or fixing my older ATEM HDMI, as a curiosity (out of warranty) and replacing my new ATEM SDI ISO's as it is obvious that something is totally wrong here.

I am a long and loyal customer and I feel the service has been somewhat suspicious. The people have been nice and considerate, but there is defiantly something wrong somewhere.

I trust you understand my concern and situation and that you can fix my equipment so I can finish my one-year project. If you can't I will be talking to the Australian Office of Blackmackic and seeking answers there.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Michael

floh79

Re: I am Complaining - It can't be just me- Something is wro

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 3:53 pm

Just for your information, this is a USER forum. If you want to contact BMD, then email support.

Best regards
Floh

mcottam

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 3:15 am

That makes total sense, sorry for my mistake. I understand I am not a USER because the products I spent $3000 on don't yet work. I will come back here if I ever get a working ATEM. Thank You.

floh79

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 9:00 am

I fully understand your frustration. But you're still a user per definition, since you use their products. Or better said: You're trying to use the products. ;)

I wish you good luck, that you can get a functional device soon. Three faulty devices in a row... ouch... :(

Best regards
Floh

Xtreemtec

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm

mcottam wrote:That makes total sense, sorry for my mistake. I understand I am not a USER because the products I spent $3000 on don't yet work. I will come back here if I ever get a working ATEM. Thank You.

At least you did not lost your english sense of humor :lol: :lol:

It has always be known that the Quality control on products has not been very trough..
A lot of people receive DOA devices or with a defect..

It's part of the you get what you pay for.. You wont see this often with a Sony cam or a Grass Valley mixer.. But there you pay also for a burn in and test periode handled a by a Tech to verify your device is complete up to spec and everything works like it should.

Whole different price range!!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

YakShaver

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 3:18 am

This is a user forum and users should know the issues that seem to plague ATEM SID devices.

I have returned my first unit because the fan was rattling. I suspect it was not installed correctly.
I got a second unit. None of the input ports are working. Output seems to be fine since you can
display signal generated by images in the media library.

I will be sending the second unit back to the retailer. Super frustrating.

mcottam

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 6:43 pm

I've now had two bad ATEMS (a SDI and ISO), a bad Hyperdeck Shuttle, a bad Bi Directional HDMI to SDI Converter. Now after updating the latest Hyperdeck software and the ATEM software both the bad ATEM SDI and the good Hyperdeck HD are now broken. I am done with Blackmagic. I am taking legal action. I wish I could send you all the videos to this post to show just how bad these divides have been.

I'm thinking of flying from China to the head office in Australia to see the man himself. It is that bad. They can't keep sending out new products claiming everything is wonderful when it's all held together with wet string. Their promises are fake, when it gets to us, and if that upsets them, let's go to court and I will show the court the real products and how they perform. I bet I have more prof than Blackmagic that all is not well.

floh79

PostSun Oct 30, 2022 9:09 am

No offense, but where do you order the BMD devices? Something is fishy there...
Best regards
Floh

mcottam

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 8:11 am

It is a shop in Shanghai, and Blackmagic is checking it out. It should not be possible.

That said, the latest Software Update for ATEM almost killed it and the Update for the Hyperdeck HD Plus has killed the Network and Remote. I'm having so much bad luck with this stuff.

But, I have created a monster.

It is currently not working due to the recent Software Updates.
Attachments
WechatIMG1321.jpeg
WechatIMG1321.jpeg (302.09 KiB) Viewed 2124 times

Asgeir Hustad

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 9:17 am

If it's not working with the recent software update, then downgrade?

Also, I'd be sceptical of how much airflow that setup is hindering - you could be getting some serious overheating for the Hyperdeck and the ATEM if you're blocking the vents the way it looks.

If you're in Singapore, what's your ambient temperature?

floh79

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 9:21 am

Nice case, I like it. But how does the cooling/venting work in that case? Do you have images for that? (did you create that case by yourself, or where can I buy such thing?)

mcottam

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 10:47 am

The case runs 4degc less than room temperature. I have been very clever with cooling. There are no heat issues, it is cool. I have sensors inside too to keep an eye on it all. You should see the other side of the case. See image.

mcottam

PostTue Nov 01, 2022 3:26 am

floh79 wrote:Nice case, I like it. But how does the cooling/venting work in that case? Do you have images for that? (did you create that case by yourself, or where can I buy such thing?)

Hello,

I got the case in China, it's an Andbao (see attached image):

The white parts are 3D printed and made in MAYA from scans of the case.

As far as the heat and cooling go. Each part has been separated so heat does not affect other parts. And each device/part has an extra in-and-out Noctua fan and a fan controller.

The ATEM is sitting on an aluminium plate that has two layers, in between is some heat cloth that will hold back 10,000 deg c, so no heat gets to it. So everything is kept cool. Less than room temperature.

The main problem was cables and power units that take up a lot of space. So I had to use thin delicate cables. I have broken so many. The other issue is fixing issues or changing anything, I have to keep pulling it apart and that has caused issues and breaks.
I will send WIP images, before it was divided, you will see the cable HELL.

The main problem was a bad run of gear sent to me, everything has had issues. I am very suspicious of this, I think I've been sent returns.

But the last disaster was a recent software update from Blackmagic. It has broken all the network commands and killed the system. Blackmagic is looking at this and I have to send all my gear back, so the case is in a big mess right now.

I remember thinking "I will put my gear in a case this weekend. This was six months of hell ago.

I am at the point of giving up on the idea and Blackmagic, but the Support in Singapore has been amazing.
I will see what Blackmagic does next.
Attachments
WechatIMG682.jpeg
WechatIMG682.jpeg (418.85 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
WechatIMG674.jpeg
WechatIMG674.jpeg (552.17 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
76ba6f94-90ec-4259-9563-4ee078c983be.jpeg
76ba6f94-90ec-4259-9563-4ee078c983be.jpeg (255.79 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

Lance Lewis

PostWed Nov 02, 2022 12:42 pm

Products I have purchased from BMD over the past 10 years:
ATEM 1 M/E
ATEM Production Studio 4k
ATEM TV Studio HD
ATEM 2 M/E Constellation HD
ATEM Mini Pro
ATEM Mini Pro ISO
BMD Battery Converters X 3
BMD Mini Converters X 4
BMD Bi-Directional Converters X 3
BMD Hyperdeck Mini Plus X 4
BMD Duo Monitor
BMPCC 4k
Ultrastudio (thunderbolt 2)

Number of products I have had problems with = 0

I would look at the location you are buying your products at.
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

mcottam

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 2:11 am

Yes indeed. I think something is wrong. When I got my ATEM SDI in China, I got it before it was available. I think something is strange.

codedeltajames

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 8:41 am

mcottam wrote:Yes indeed. I think something is wrong. When I got my ATEM SDI in China, I got it before it was available. I think something is strange.

That should have set major alarm bells ringing before you even purchased the device. That it then had serious faults and should have been rejected at QC stage suddenly makes a lot of sense.

I'm slightly surprised though that you have had so many problems with the gear bought from this one store, yet still keep going back - by any chance do they also do surprisingly good discounts on the RRP prices listed on BMDs website?

I'm not suggesting any of this is your fault - it sounds like you may have accidentally stumbled into a grey market sales chain - which only ever works if the customers think they're getting genuine products. It would certainly explain the scale of issues you're having and the lack of resolution.

floh79

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 7:12 pm

floh79 wrote:No offense, but where do you order the BMD devices? Something is fishy there...
Best regards
Floh
Exactly because of that I wrote that earlier. If you got devices before the official release, maybe you got faulty prototypes/plagiarism/trash(=didn't pass QA test)? :idea: I think if you contact BMD and ask them to check the serial numbers printed on your devices, maybe there are some hints if my guess is right ... :idea: Just a idea.

Best regards
Floh

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 9:52 pm

I don’t know, of the 7 micro 4ks I bought one was DOA and another had an improperly installed fan. Of my 2 BMPCCs one fried the HDMI port and developed sensor fungus within 2 years. That’s a 37.5% fail rate. Then again my 1 Komodo shipped with a bad record button (100%) so it looks like Red’s QC isn’t any better.

Good Luck

mcottam

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 4:55 pm

SO, I sent the ATEM SDI, the Hyperdeck Shuttle and the Hyperdeck HD Plus back to Blackmagic. They sent the ATEM to Australia from China. Not sure if I will ever see that again. Then they sent the Hyperdeck's back to me saying there was nothing wrong with them. They came back exactly as I sent them and both still have issues. I'm like ???. What the hell can I do now? Looks like they just Factory Reset them and sent them back.

floh79

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Hi, what exactly is wrong with your Hyperdecks? Could you describe the issue?

Best regards
Floh

mcottam

PostWed Nov 16, 2022 7:03 am

floh79 wrote:Hi, what exactly is wrong with your Hyperdecks? Could you describe the issue?

Best regards
Floh

Hello,

The Hyperdeck Shuttle: Starts with either a very bad picture, pinks, and flashing or very bad crackling sounds. Since they returned from Blackmagic the picture has green lines. It also takes 2 or 3 starts to clear the issues then it's good while on, but bad again when it restarts.

The Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus: Starts and works well. But when you load the ATEM Control Software you will see the Hyperdeck Panel turn on and off every 10 seconds. It says Local in yellow above the Hyperdeck in the window. It starts to load files but stops and files can't be selected. Then the Remote does not work.

Blackmagic said they could not replicate the issues, but this does not ring true. I will tell you why. When I got the decks back, I downgraded the software to 7.4 I think. This fixed the issues. But the HDMI Output on the Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus is now black when the video is playing on the screen. The good news for me; I'm using SDI so it is no project killer, just a dead HDMI and it is sad that a software downgrade can do that.

Blackmagic is currently replacing my ATEM as they have realized their packing is not that good. The box is very thin. The team testing it said it was a disaster inside.

BTW: I'm still talking to them regarding the Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus.

Hope that helps.

ALSO. The Shuttle is still a problem when it starts. The software did not fix that.

I got 10 new cables to test all this, so it is not cables.

floh79

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 7:16 am

Thank you for describing the problem. Hm... that is weird. I don't have any idea and I wish you good luck solving the issue with BMD support.

Best regards
Floh

mcottam

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 8:36 am

To update:

The Hyperdeck Network problem was software in the end. I sent the software back and all was good.

The HDMI issues on the Hyperdeck Shuttle and my ATEM ISO Output were due to the cables. I was using new cables but they were short and flat. When slightly bent the ends of the cable inside would slide away from the connection and cause the issue. Replacing the cables with a heavier/longer type stopped all issues. But these don't fit into my project...

The damaged ATEM SDI is being replaced by Blackmagic. That said "WORD OF WARNING". Keep all your boxes, packing, and parts, they won't replace unless you have everything. Just so you know. You have to send the power brick too.

Regards,

Mike

Return to Live Production