ATEM Mini Extreme ISO: USB and Recording Sources

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

awi1964

ATEM Mini Extreme ISO: USB and Recording Sources

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 8:50 am

Hello everyone,

I do not own the Extreme ISO yet.
Is it possible to configure it with this scenario?

My goal: I want to offer a webinar (we use Zoom for that) and, at the same time, record that webinar (from any selected HDMI input at a time, except #1) to an external disk.
  • My Camera on ATEM Input 1 streams via USB A to my computer (video & audio). It acts as my webcam only, never meant to be routed to anything else than USB A (and ideally, USB A never outputs anything else than Input 1, not even by accident)
  • The computer's HDMI Out goes to ATEM Input 2 and I'd like to record it via USB B when selected.
  • Optionally, a secondary (third, ...) HDMI Out goes to ATEM Input 3 (4, ...). They should also be recorded when selected.
We need an mp4 file that can be downloaded right after the seminar, that's why we can't record all channels separately and do it in Post.

How to setup the device to stream and record different sources?

Thanks for your advice.
Andreas

floh79

Re: ATEM Mini Extreme ISO: USB and Recording Sources

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 9:45 am

Hi,

if you do ISO-Recording, every inputs will be recorded, regardless if its connected or not. You cannot select single inputs/outputs for recording. So just plug in and start recording. :)

Best regards
Floh

awi1964

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 9:59 am

Yes, I know. That's why I mentioned I do not want to record all channels separately!
Just the selected or program output.

Recording with an ATEM Mini Extreme ISO should basically work like on an ATEM Mini Pro ISO, where I can choose to make an "ISO recording" of all inputs - or simply record the PGM output into a single file (which is what I want). The difference is the second USB Out, so I was hoping I could stream (source = 1 "direct") and record (source = PGM) two different things at the same time.
Last edited by awi1964 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

floh79

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 10:30 am

Ah I see and understand you question now. Sorry I don‘t know that yet how it works with multiple USB-Connections. I just received ATEM SDI Extreme ISO and didn‘t use it yet.

Best regards
Floh

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 12:51 pm

The USB webcam output only carries the program video (and audio). There are no routing options available for the webcam output.

There are routing options for the two hardware HDMI outputs, so you can set those to output one of the input video sources, or program output, or multiview. And then you could send that to a separate video capture device, if desired. Just keep in mind that all of the hardware video outputs on the ATEMs include the program audio mix.

In terms of the on-board H.264 recording on the ATEM ISO models, there is an option to record all of the ISO files (from all of the video inputs) + the program output, or to turn off the ISO recording option and just record the program output. Note that each of the ISO recordings for the different inputs are separate files, so you could just take the one you want and use it directly. You only need to use the DaVinci Resolve project file if you want to edit the overall multi-camera live cut.

The one limitation of the ISO video files though is that they include the program audio (rather than the audio associated with that video input). The audio associated with each video input is recorded, but as separate audio files. So if you wanted a recording of a video source with its associated audio embedded you would have to replace the audio track in the video file for that source.

One other possibility is to split the video signal before it goes into the ATEM video input (via an HDMI splitter, for example). And then you could send the same signal to the ATEM Mini as well as to an separate video recorder or video capture device. This would allow for capturing the video for an input along with whatever embedded audio is included with the video signal.

awi1964

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 9:29 pm

Thank you Dave for explaining these options in such detail.
I've learned that I cannot achieve my goals with the Extreme ISO alone.

Return to Live Production