DaVinci Resolve Studio | ATEM SDI | Micro/Mini Converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MGadAllah

DaVinci Resolve Studio | ATEM SDI | Micro/Mini Converter

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 4:36 am

Hi,

I've posted earlier regarding recording via webcam and using OBS, in this thread.

Really a lot of issues.

So, long story short, I've decided to go the other way by using ATEM SDI.

Please, I have some questions:

1. When I order ATEM SDI, does the purchase amount of $345 includes a license for DaVinci Resolve Studio?
  2. I will have 2 or 3 cameras maximum beside a laptop and want to connect them all to ATEM SDI, do I need to get a Micro/Mini Converter in order to connect my laptop to ATEM SDI using the laptop HD output port? given that I just want to connect the laptop to ATEM SDI and everything is in the same place and neither through the internet nor the local LAN.

And if the answer is yes, then which item I should get exactly because there are many models of converter?
  3. Is it advisable to use an exact and identical camera model to get a better result when connecting to ATEM SDI? right now I've only 1 Canon 70D, so I will buy another one or two cameras (used ofcourse).
Thanks a lot for your valuable time helping me :)
MG!

floh79

Re: DaVinci Resolve Studio | ATEM SDI | Micro/Mini Converter

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 10:14 am

Hi
MGadAllah wrote: When I order ATEM SDI, does the purchase amount of $345 includes a license for DaVinci Resolve Studio?
No, it's not included but Davinci Resolve (non-Studio) is for free.

MGadAllah wrote:I will have 2 or 3 cameras maximum beside a laptop and want to connect them all to ATEM SDI, do I need to get a Micro/Mini Converter in order to connect my laptop to ATEM SDI using the laptop HD output port?

And if the answer is yes, then which item I should get exactly because there are many models of converter?
Yes, you'll need a ATEM HDMI to SDI converter or a BiDirectional converter if your laptop has a HDMI port.
Just a hint, because of the image you posted here and I'm not sure whats your expectation here: You only can have one output from a Streaming-Bridge, so you won't get M/V and PGM at same time. I also don't think ATEM SDI is capable to send to two Streaming-Bridge simultaneous. I don't have a Streaming-Bridge so I cannot give you further details about that.

MGadAllah wrote:Is it advisable to use an exact and identical camera model to get a better result when connecting to ATEM SDI? right now I've only 1 Canon 70D, so I will buy another one or two cameras (used ofcourse).
About that, it's just a opinion from me: You can use different cameras but I recommend all cameras should have same output formats (same resolution, same framerate...).

Best regards
Floh

MGadAllah

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 11:18 am

floh79 wrote:Yes, you'll need an ATEM HDMI to SDI converter or a BiDirectional converter if your laptop has an HDMI port.
Which model because there are many models? I will only have 2 or 3 cameras and only 1 laptop, so which one to order as I do not want to order something expensive that I will not make use of its features.
2022-09-10 13 23 44.png
2022-09-10 13 23 44.png (44.96 KiB) Viewed 933 times

2022-09-10 12 32 38.png
2022-09-10 12 32 38.png (233.86 KiB) Viewed 938 times

floh79 wrote:About that, it's just an opinion from me: You can use different cameras but I recommend all cameras should have the same output formats (same resolution, same framerate...).

Do you mean it does not matter the camera brand and model if the same output, resolution, and frame rate?
MG!

MGadAllah

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 7:28 pm

MGadAllah wrote:
floh79 wrote:Yes, you'll need an ATEM HDMI to SDI converter or a BiDirectional converter if your laptop has an HDMI port.
Which model because there are many models? I will only have 2 or 3 cameras and only 1 laptop, so which one to order as I do not want to order something expensive that I will not make use of its features.
2022-09-10 13 23 44.png

2022-09-10 12 32 38.png

floh79 wrote:About that, it's just an opinion from me: You can use different cameras but I recommend all cameras should have the same output formats (same resolution, same framerate...).

Do you mean it does not matter the camera brand and model if the same output, resolution, and frame rate?

I did read in detail the specs of the Micro Converter, and what I understand so far, and given that I am buying the ATEM SDI:
  1. Micro Converter HDMI to SDI 3G for $55.
  2. Micro Converter SDI to HDMI 3G for $59.
  3. Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G for $69.
Does item #3 does or have the features of both items #1 & #2 ?
Please advise.
MG!

floh79

PostSun Sep 11, 2022 3:03 am

MGadAllah wrote:
  1. Micro Converter HDMI to SDI 3G for $55.
  2. Micro Converter SDI to HDMI 3G for $59.
  3. Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G for $69.
Does item #3 does or have the features of both items #1 & #2 ?
Please advise.

Yes, #3 has both (#1 & #2) in one. If you only connect single input to Bidirectional Converter, then both Outputs have the same content (like Loopback). If you connect all four connections, you use it as if you're using 1# and #2.

If you plan use 4K I'd prefer 12G but if you keep working with ATEM mini, then go for it with 3G. You need either #1 or #3. #2 is wrong direction for your current usage (as your image describe).

Best regards
Floh

MGadAllah

PostSun Sep 11, 2022 3:05 am

Thanks a lot.
MG!

JGottfried

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 7:39 am

I you have multiple Laptops that connect tur your Atem SDI in recommend an UpCrossDown mini Converter. This Converter can transform the Laptop Output to Full-HD if the Laptop itself doing something strange. At our University we use the UpCrossDown in various settings when we want to capture the Beamer Prasentation. Without the UpCrossDown we hat sometimes problems with the output from some of the Laptops.

MGadAllah

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 7:51 pm

JGottfried wrote:an UpCrossDown mini Converter
What is that?
MG!

Cybershadow

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 8:03 am

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

MGadAllah

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 4:47 pm

I've ordered these items:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195280679789
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334553834602
Are they support recording on its own to avoid audio video out of synchronization?
Also, something I've just realized after I've ordered the ATEM SDI, is that it does not include the streaming and recording key like the other two models:
ATEM SDI Extreme ISO.
ATEM SDI Pro ISO.
So am I missing something here?
Did I ordered the wrong item?

Because I just want to connect my two identical cameras to the ATEM, record what is being shown in both cameras, and create a DaVinci resolve studio project that includes everything.
Please advise.
Thanks
MG!

floh79

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 8:17 pm

Hi. If you want to record every Inputs, you need an ISO model, so at least ATEM SDI Pro ISO.

Best regards
Floh

Return to Live Production