Using the ATEM Mini Pro with Elgato Stream Deck and OBS

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

seasalamat

Using the ATEM Mini Pro with Elgato Stream Deck and OBS

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 2:05 pm

So we've been using the ATEM Mini Pro for several months now to livestream our church activities, and it's currently connected to a laptop via USB-C since the laptop handles the actual streaming (via OBS). So the signal flow goes like this: Inputs (cameras) > ATEM Mini Pro > OBS in laptop (via USB C) > stream to Restream and project to LCD projector (via the laptop's HDMI out).

This setup works well, with one major caveat - I have to Alt-Tab between the ATEM Software Control and OBS Studio during the live stream to use the macros (in the ATEM Software Control) and manage text/graphics overlays etc (in OBS). Also, I find that the macro buttons in the ATEM Software Control (which I use for custom PIP) are too small and sometimes hard to click quickly in concert with the ATEM buttons. I've thought of using an Elgato stream deck and controlling the ATEM via macros through the Bitfocus Companion app. To connect the Companion App, I would have to connect to the ATEM via an IP address.

Now my question is, is it possible to use the Elgato Stream Deck to control the ATEM Macros (through the Companion App) while at the same time retaining the connection of the OBS to the ATEM? Using the OBS with the ATEM requires a USB-C connection to the laptop, while using the Companion App with the ATEM Software control requires an ATEM-Laptop network connection (via ethernet). I have scoured the internet for answers, but it seems that people either connect their laptops to the ATEM either via USB-C or via ethernet (not both). I'd like to know if such a system would work before I propose to purchase a stream deck.

Many thanks in advance!

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Using the ATEM Mini Pro with Elgato Stream Deck and OBS

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 2:18 pm

Yes, you can connect to the ATEM over Ethernet for control and still use the USB-C webcam output to get the program video into a computer.

When you connect the ATEM to your local network, you can actually have multiple devices that control different aspects of the ATEM switcher simultaneously. And then you could connect the USB-C webcam output to one of the computers being used for control or to a different computer, depending on what is most convenient for your setup.

Andre Augustin

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 6:45 pm

Yes you actually can. If you have the macros programed, they will show up in Companion. Just make sure you label them to what you want them to do.
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

seasalamat

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 12:28 am

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Return to Live Production