Display Settings for Mac HDMI to ATEM Mini Extreme ISO

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JDHesse

Display Settings for Mac HDMI to ATEM Mini Extreme ISO

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 11:30 am

(I searched but could not find this answer in another thread. Please redirect if this has already been addressed.)

I'm having problems with the HDMI output from macs. The color (or display setting?) is so significantly distorted that the slides being shared are not useable. I tried on both my MacBook Pro (2021 with M1 Chip) and also a MacMini (also an M1 machine).

As a bandaid, I did a custom display calibration using the Mac tool in system preferences. It improved things on the ATEM (although far from perfect).

What is the correct way to address this problem? Does Blackmagic have a mac display setting that can be downloaded and used when connecting to the ATEM Mini as an "external display"?

The first image below is without any adjustment (notice the blues are almost non-existent and the black/white contrast is muted). The second image is after my attempted display calibration. It's better, but not great (The white actually looks dull and grey.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

not-adjusted.jpeg
Non-Adjusted Image
not-adjusted.jpeg (369.83 KiB) Viewed 857 times

adjusted.jpeg
Adjusted Display Setting
adjusted.jpeg (368.56 KiB) Viewed 857 times

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Display Settings for Mac HDMI to ATEM Mini Extreme ISO

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 2:08 pm

There was some earlier discussion about this problem in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=111784

You could also try sending the computer video signal into inputs 1-2 rather than 3-8 (or vice versa), as these HDMI ports are different in terms of the HDMI input formats they accept, which could affect what the computer decides to output.

Return to Live Production