4 dedicated mics for atem mini pro ?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

drbfixin

4 dedicated mics for atem mini pro ?

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 1:03 pm

I am super new to this and trying to set up my operating room to record a sort of podcast. i have 4 cameras. one camera on each doctor and one camera for a view of all of us. I wanted to do video follows audio so i dont need anyone switching cameras. my concern is the camera closest to me is pointing to someone else. my plan was to get mics for each camera. my concern was i do not think there are 4 mic inputs? and i need extra software to have the video follow voice. thanks for your attention.

Darryl

Re: 4 dedicated mics for atem mini pro ?

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi,

I can think of a few options for mics based on what we have done in various setups, but without knowing what equipment you have it's hard to know which are feasible.

The simplest is to connect a mic to each camera. There are multiple wireless mics that can do this but it depends on the cameras for how and if they can be connected. Some entry level camereras won't allow external microphones at all. Input sockets range from 3.5mm TRS, to mini XLR, to XLR, generally in increasing camera cost.

The mini pro has 2 TRS inputs which means two stereo inputs. Mics are mono, and with the appropriate adapter cables you can directly connect 4 mics into those 2 sockets. You also need to get into the ATEM software and convert those channels from stereo to 2 mono.

Last is to buy a small audio mixer. Connect the mics to that mixer and the output of the mixer to one of the TRS inputs on the mini pro. This is the most flexible option and the one we use most ourselves.

I don't know about auto switching cameras based on audio. It's not a requirement for our work and I am actually not sure how it would work in practical terms. What happens when you have a conversation and there is a lot of quick switching between cameras? I would be interested to know how that is managed.

Darryl
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Howard Roll

Re: 4 dedicated mics for atem mini pro ?

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 9:07 am

Technically the AMP has 4 audio inputs, 1 left/right, 2 left/right. On the Github page for the auto switcher the developer is using both sides of the Mic 1 input to trigger HDMI 1 and 2.

Auto-switch mic1 L to HDMI 1, mic1 R to HDMI 2, and mic3 to HDMI 3

The lavs could go straight to the camera as well, there are pros and cons to both approaches. The real question is how do you trigger the wide shot?

Good Luck

Return to Live Production