Multiple Cameras Latency.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fbernall

Multiple Cameras Latency.

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 4:15 pm

Greetings, I'm having difficulties with 4 camera inputs and latency. All cameras are Lumix G85. All using Fiber optic cables and all have the same settings except for focal length. Some cameras are 2 frames off others are 3 frames off and one is on the money.. Has anyone encounter such situation? If so, how did you resolve it?
Here's my set up: 4 SM7B into Rodecaster Pro I, Roadcaster into MIc 1 of ATEM Extreme ISO. I have done the latency adjustment but since all the cameras are not the same latency, it is difficult to have a synched recorded product. I'm opening the project on Resolve 18.

Thanks in advance for your help..

Cybershadow

Re: Multiple Cameras Latency.

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 9:57 am

Lumix G85 are no live production cameras. If you can't live with a few frames offset you need different cameras and a different switcher that can be genlocked.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

fbernall

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 12:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.. The ATEM Extreme ISO, as you know, has a latency adjustment. This has been useful for one camera.. I'm just confused as to why the differences in latency from the various cameras that have the same model and settings... Thanks again..

carpentermike

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 2:51 pm

First i would try to switch the connections on the ATEM to see if the lag wanders. If the lag wanders with the input you have not the same cables oder settings on the cameras. If the lag stay its on the ATEM.

ManchesterV

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 3:19 pm

Inputs 1+2 on the Extreme ISO have different circuitry than the rest.

They're intended for computers/gaming and can be configured for low/no latency direct output to an AUX.

When NOT being used for direct output they behave similar to the other inputs but they may have differing latency.

Avoid inputs 1+2 for cameras and see if the issue remains.

fbernall

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 5:43 pm

Thanks for the input (no pun intended). Yes, I have my cameras on input 3 and after. the first two are for my iMac and laptop.. Thanks again.

Return to Live Production