HDMI to VGA Output

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DwainC

HDMI to VGA Output

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:14 pm

Running the ATEM Mini Pro ISO.

I've got tons of computer LCD monitors with VGA connections. I want to output the multiview thru HDMI-to-VGA adapter. It didn't work. Some LCDs give me red picture, but no blue/green. Another LCD is just blank.

Went to [Software Control] > [Settings] > [General Tab] and tried different frame rates. None produced a video signal.

Any ideas??

Sander Vreuls

Re: HDMI to VGA Output

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 10:49 am

HDMI is digital
VGA is analog

So you need a dedicated converter to convert that signal, not just a cable.

What are you using to convert it?

To be honest, image quality has increased so much in the last years, that I would go with a modern cheap PC screen with HDMI instead of using converters to use an older VGA LCD..

DwainC

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 2:07 pm

Sander Vreuls wrote:What are you using to convert it?

I have a Moread HDMI to VGA adapter 'best seller' on Amazon. I ran an HDMI cable out of a Panasonic camcorder, connected it to the HDMI/VGA adapter, and succeeded in getting a picture through the LCD's VGA connection. I was hoping to do the same with the ATEM Mini Pro.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 4:50 am

Most inexpensive HDMI to VGA supporters lack any kind of support for video standards conversion. Which means that they will only work if the HDMI video input signal is in a video format (resolution, frame rate, and color space) that the monitor can display.

The issue with many VGA monitors is that they do not have a native 16:9 aspect ratio. Many are 4:3, or 16:10, or some other aspect ratio. And even if you have a VGA monitor that is 16:9, many are not actually 1920x1080 as there were a lot of computer displays made with non-broadcast standard resolutions such as 1366x768.

The second issue is that VGA signals typically use the RGB color space whereas the ATEM switchers use the YUV color space (also referred to as YCbCr) which is more common in broadcast applications.

You can sometimes get inexpensive HDMI to VGA converters to work with the HDMI output from a computer as computer video cards usually output RGB signals and are capable of outputting a wide range of resolutions and aspect ratios. But the ATEM Minis only output 1920x1080 (1080p) video resolutions.

So you would likely need an HDMI to VGA converter that includes video scaling and color space conversion capabilities to get the ATEM Mini output to work with a VGA display. Such video scaler converters do exist, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the basic HDMI to VGA models (often costing a couple hundred dollars or so).

And since you can get an LCD monitor with a direct HDMI input for around $100 or so these days, I tend to agree with Sander that this is likely a better option. It will be less expensive and give you better video quality than a VGA monitor would.

DwainC

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 2:42 pm

Dave, you've cleared things up to me better than anything I've read about understanding HDMI signals. I think I understand it now.

I tried multiview into an LCD with HDMI input, but got a compatibility error. I'm guessing the LCDs I've tried do not meet the 1080 resolution.

Onward.

Return to Live Production