Adding Ports to Black Magic Atem Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

FirstCC

Adding Ports to Black Magic Atem Mini Pro

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:07 pm

HI!

My current setup utilizes a Black Magic Atem Mini Pro alongside of a Macbook Pro. All of my ports are being used on both my Atem and my Mac. I really need a second display screen for my MacBook to run everything. One screen is too cramped. I have a monitor for multiview, but need a way to add a monitor for an extended display of my Mac.

Do I get another Atem Mini Pro, adding three ports? Will that even work where I can add another screen. (I feel like it won't because it's on a switcher instead of a direct link.) I sort of feel stuck, and don't know how to add all the connections that I need.

I suppose another option is a mac mini?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Adding Ports to Black Magic Atem Mini Pro

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 5:24 am

I would probably look into something like a Thunderbolt Dock that has additional USB (or Thunderbolt ports) as well as an HDMI or DisplayPort output for an external LCD monitor. Some Thunderbolt Docks have connectivity for multiple external displays (either via multiple HDMI/DisplayPort connectors or via Thunderbolt passthrough which can be used to attach additional display adapters).

Obviously the physical ports on the computer (as well as the number of external displays supported) vary depending on the MacBook Pro model. So you'll just need to find something compatible with the specs of your computer.

Return to Live Production