Micro Converter failure?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dwardMICS

Micro Converter failure?

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 11:23 am

I'm having a dickens of a time dealing with my HDMI to SDI converter. First, my set up:

-Source: HDMI, typically from a laptop or chromebook
-Output: Projector in the ceiling that is connected to the gym sound system.
-Transit: I am in a gym so we run a SDI cable from the projector, through runs to the laptop or chromebook source.

For years, we had a BMD MicroConverter HDMI to SDI. It worked well, except that we would get intermittent popping through the audio out of the projector. That's not great during performances or presentations. Due to it being in the gym, the microUSB port power was damaged so that it only works when you hold it the "right way."

Since that was not a good long term solution, I thought to myself "I should replace the converter since it's significantly cheaper than calling someone to check out the system." So I did, but then the SDI cord broke. Great. Fixed the cord (done by a professional out for a different purpose). Hooked up the new Micro Converter SDI to HDMI 3G with USB-C. Now I get no signal to my projector. OK, so let's use the BMD software to check on it, and it shows up just fine in the app, but it's not transmitting any signal to my projector.

OK, so I hooked back up our finicky older converters, and instant picture. Before I formulate a return/warranty, is there anything else I'm missing? Is there some "black magic" that I can do with my new converter? Or does it only work for a narrow band of video products, and I should have done more research before I bought a $75 paper weight?

Thank you, o wise and experienced forum members!

Return to Live Production