macOS Ventura + Resolve/BMD hardware: Compatibility Notes

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

PhotoJoseph

macOS Ventura + Resolve/BMD hardware: Compatibility Notes

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 8:09 pm

The only topic I found on this forum about Resolve and macOS Ventura was specifically on the M1 https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=169655&hilit=ventura, and full of "why would you upgrade" replies. So, how about we dispense with the "you're a dummy to upgrade" wisdom, and just get to the nitty gritty. We all know you should back up first, and we all know you can make a clone of your HD for a dual boot system, and we all know you shouldn't upgrade in the middle of a big project.

Let's compile any KNOWN issues with either Resolve or BMD hardware (ATEMs, capture cards, thunderbolt devices) with macOS Ventura. As of this writing, Ventura has not hit a dot-release and is currently sitting at v13.0

If you have upgraded to macOS Ventura and can report successes or failures with BMD hardware or software, please let us know below!

From the aforementioned post, just a few days ago, Info Schmoll wrote:

Ingo Schmoll wrote:Apparently both the Deck Link cards and 4K Studio mini hardware is currently NOT COMPATIBLE with the current official release version of Ventura. It would actually be a lot nicer if BM themselves would warn of incompatibilities like this due to beta testing new OS versions, but since they dont this forum seems the only way to figure it out before making a mistake. It seems OS betas these days are often not utilized by software developers to get their software up to par in time, but rather for regular users to test and find out these issues. I find that practice pretty bad though

For reference, as of this writing, Desktop Video (for DeckLink and most capture hardware) is at v12.4 (14-July-2022) and ATEM is at 8.10 (21-Oct-2022).
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Steve Alexander

Re: macOS Ventura + Resolve/BMD hardware: Compatibility Note

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 2:35 am

MacBook M1 Max, MacOS Ventura 13.0, Resolve Studio 18.0.4

Speed Editor works via both BlueTooth and USB-C. No obvious hiccups noted thus far.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Uli Plank

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 3:35 am

See this one too: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=170274
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 4:35 am

I see no need to update to Ventura until 2023.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

WAZMANIA

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 7:19 am

I updated to Ventura on my 2019 Mac Pro. Resolve 18.04 works fine but none of my Blackmagic hardware worked. I have connected a Mini Panel, Ultra Studio 4k Mini and a SDI to HDMI 6K mini converter.

None of which communicated with my computer. :(

Black Magic Converter setup worked and showed the mini converter but Desktop video failed to detect my ultrastudio.

After chatting with BM Support we generated an SPX file to have a closer look and saw the fault was Ventura loading the drivers for the internal Apple devices. Eg; My Thunderbolt adaptors in theory won't be able to detect USB devices.

So I'm going to back up tomorrow and re-install Ventura as it could just be a dud install.

Will keep you posted!

Mark Foster

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 10:30 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I see no need to update to Ventura until 2023.

more likely mid 2023 ; -)
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Uli Plank

PostWed Nov 09, 2022 1:19 pm

And probably another one, with the Proxy Generator: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=170271
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

TheYossarian

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 7:36 pm

Ventura broke output refresh rate for the BMD output to my ATEM video switcher, no more 60hz. Going to try to use cscreen to see if I can force 60hz back into the list.

Edit: So I installed macos Monterey on a separate volume and it runs fine, which leads me to believe that it is definitely a Ventura issue. Could use a signal rescaler, but I'll just stick to macos 12 for now.

ironlion37

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 12:37 am

Uggh. Updated to Ventura without thinking to try and solve a problem with Apple Music. I'm on an M1 and DR is now almost unusable. It hangs and crashes every few minutes. Unfortunately, I did not back up so I'm stuck in a worst case scenario.

PhotoJoseph

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 1:49 am

ironlion37 wrote:Uggh. Updated to Ventura without thinking to try and solve a problem with Apple Music. I'm on an M1 and DR is now almost unusable. It hangs and crashes every few minutes. Unfortunately, I did not back up so I'm stuck in a worst case scenario.

Ugh. Did you update to 18.1? On my M1 MacBook Air, Resolve 18.1 and macOS Ventura seem to be behaving nicely. Obviously I don’t have the PCIe cards to contend with like I do on my Mac Pro, so it’s a different kettle of fish, but at least one system is just fine with Ventura and Resolve.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

ironlion37

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 2:01 am

Yes, I'm running 18.1. The problem really seems to be with memory, render cache and fusion effects. In other words, anything memory intensive. That's where the problems are. I feel like I'm back on my old PC and have lost all M1 benefits.

PhotoJoseph

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 3:55 pm

ironlion37 wrote:Yes, I'm running 18.1. The problem really seems to be with memory, render cache and fusion effects. In other words, anything memory intensive. That's where the problems are. I feel like I'm back on my old PC and have lost all M1 benefits.

Very odd; it’s performing great on my M1. Maybe reinstall Resolve?

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

ironlion37

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 7:27 pm

Thanks Joe, I guess I will try that before doing a factory reset on the M1.

Resolve currently cannot even render out a project without crashing. I guess I know what I'll be doing over the holiday. :(

EDIT: Joe, I think I owe you one. I reinstalled 18.1 and it seems to be behaving normally now!

PhotoJoseph

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 10:14 pm

ironlion37 wrote:Thanks Joe, I guess I will try that before doing a factory reset on the M1.

Resolve currently cannot even render out a project without crashing. I guess I know what I'll be doing over the holiday. :(

EDIT: Joe, I think I owe you one. I reinstalled 18.1 and it seems to be behaving normally now!

Amazing! That's great to hear.
-Joseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Bastien

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 11:48 am

WAZMANIA wrote:I updated to Ventura on my 2019 Mac Pro. Resolve 18.04 works fine but none of my Blackmagic hardware worked. I have connected a Mini Panel, Ultra Studio 4k Mini and a SDI to HDMI 6K mini converter.

None of which communicated with my computer. :(

Black Magic Converter setup worked and showed the mini converter but Desktop video failed to detect my ultrastudio.

After chatting with BM Support we generated an SPX file to have a closer look and saw the fault was Ventura loading the drivers for the internal Apple devices. Eg; My Thunderbolt adaptors in theory won't be able to detect USB devices.

So I'm going to back up tomorrow and re-install Ventura as it could just be a dud install.

Will keep you posted!

Hi,

Did you get any news about this ?
I have currently purchased an UltraStudio 4K Mini but cannot get it recognised on my MacBook Pro 2018 running the last version of MacOS Ventura.

Thank you for your support !

Heiko Thies

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 11:08 am

Brand new Mac user here. Mac Studio M1 Max base model with 64 GB ram, 1 TB internal SSD. I have Resolve Studio 18.1.1 running on the latest version of Ventura. Speed Editor via bluetooth works perfectly as far as I can tell. Mini Monitor 3G via thunderbolt goes into SDI to HDMI converter with installed calibration LUT into external reference screen, also working great so far. Had one hiccup today where Resolve did not seem to find it. Just unplugged and replugged the mini monitor, restarted resolve and everything worked again, so no biggy. Mini Panel via USB is working fine so far, I think it lost connection once the other day, but a simple off on fixed that too for me. I do have strange quirk with color management at the moment, posted about it here, but since it's not really BMD hardware related, I won't list it here too. Hope this helps!

Ian Henderson

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 2:44 pm

Resolve 18.1.1 on M1 Studio Max on Ventura with Mini Monitor 4K in a Flex8 box over thunderbolt (and Mini panel and Resolve keyboard). Absolutely unusable - constant crashing in the edit window every few mins, can't even review footage. Yeah, yeah, I upgraded but been testing it (Ventura) for a while on the MacBook M1 Pro for a while without issues.

PhotoJoseph

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 6:49 pm

Ian Henderson wrote:Resolve 18.1.1 on M1 Studio Max on Ventura with Mini Monitor 4K in a Flex8 box over thunderbolt (and Mini panel and Resolve keyboard). Absolutely unusable - constant crashing in the edit window every few mins, can't even review footage. Yeah, yeah, I upgraded but been testing it (Ventura) for a while on the MacBook M1 Pro for a while without issues.

How does it work without the Flex8 box? I understand that’s not ideal, but since you crash every few minutes, it seems that’d be an easy test to see if that’s the culprit?

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

tlmillmus

PostFri Dec 16, 2022 1:30 am

May be off topic, but I have an ATEM Mini Pro and have recently upgraded to OS Ventura. Trying to live stream a concert, I could not get YouTube to recognize the ATEM software when I went on air. I did absolutely nothing different from previous broadcasts, and the only variable I can think of is Ventura. Am I off base here, or is there a compatibility issue?

Help!!

Tim

PhotoJoseph

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 2:11 am

tlmillmus wrote:May be off topic, but I have an ATEM Mini Pro and have recently upgraded to OS Ventura. Trying to live stream a concert, I could not get YouTube to recognize the ATEM software when I went on air. I did absolutely nothing different from previous broadcasts, and the only variable I can think of is Ventura. Am I off base here, or is there a compatibility issue?

Help!!

Tim

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with Ventura. The ATEM software doesn't actually do anything when it comes to streaming. That's all in the ATEM itself. All the software does is send commands to the ATEM to set it up.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

PhotoJoseph

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 2:12 am

I see that Desktop Video 12.4.2 is now out (Dec 8 2022) and lists macOS Ventura. Perhaps it's finally time to upgrade… heck, maybe it'll solve my Resolve crashes (ha, right).

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

clabart

PostSun Jan 15, 2023 7:38 am

Hi, I'm a newbie on this forum. I read the subject of the post about Blackmagic software/hardware incompatibility with MacOS Ventura on Mac M1 (I have a Mini M1).
In particular my Intensity Shuttle usb 3.0 worked with MacOS Monterey but after upgrade to Ventura Blackmagic DeskTopVideo ver. 12.4.2 no longer recognizes the hardware.
Same thing with MacBook Air (ver. 6.1 i7 8 GB) with MacOS Catalina Intensity Shuttle worked and after upgrade to MacOS BigSur it is no longer recognized.
Is it worth downgrading macOS?

Henninges

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 7:07 pm

i have an issue with a pcie mini recorder in combination with ventura 13.1 ( 22C65 )...while i dont installed the BMD software before, the card was just recognized, after installing the software, the device driver is not loaded and of course not recognized anymore...any suggestion to turn it back on?

PhotoJoseph

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 6:01 pm

clabart wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie on this forum. I read the subject of the post about Blackmagic software/hardware incompatibility with MacOS Ventura on Mac M1 (I have a Mini M1).
In particular my Intensity Shuttle usb 3.0 worked with MacOS Monterey but after upgrade to Ventura Blackmagic DeskTopVideo ver. 12.4.2 no longer recognizes the hardware.
Same thing with MacBook Air (ver. 6.1 i7 8 GB) with MacOS Catalina Intensity Shuttle worked and after upgrade to MacOS BigSur it is no longer recognized.
Is it worth downgrading macOS?

Old post now, but the Shuttle is ancient, isn’t it? Worth checking the driver compatibility list to see what driver still supports it, and what macOS that driver is made for.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

PhotoJoseph

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 6:01 pm

Henninges wrote:i have an issue with a pcie mini recorder in combination with ventura 13.1 ( 22C65 )...while i dont installed the BMD software before, the card was just recognized, after installing the software, the device driver is not loaded and of course not recognized anymore...any suggestion to turn it back on?

I’d reinstall the driver, starting with an uninstall, if a simple reboot doesn’t fix it.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Henninges

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 2:49 pm

thanks for your reply...unfourtunately, a simple un -and reinstall does not help.
the card is not beeing recognized. i test the card in an old 5,1 mac pro ( running OS X Mavericks ) and the card does work just fine, so i assume its not an hardware problem.

EDIT:

following two terminal commands do the job...

- Install Desktop Video 12.4.2

- Open a Terminal Window...

- Execute: sudo mv /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions (this will copy: BlackmagicIO.kext to /Library/Extensions)

- Reboot

- Execute another command in Terminal: sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

PhotoJoseph

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 6:37 pm

Henninges wrote:following two terminal commands do the job...

- Install Desktop Video 12.4.2

- Open a Terminal Window...

- Execute: sudo mv /Library/Application\ Support/Blackmagic\ Design/Blackmagic\ DeckLink/Signed\ Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext /Library/Extensions (this will copy: BlackmagicIO.kext to /Library/Extensions)

- Reboot

- Execute another command in Terminal: sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext

Dang… can you elaborate on what those commands are doing?

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Henninges

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 7:36 pm

the first will move the kext to its corect position because it looks like that the installer doesn't.
the second should rebuild the kext cache...

lpclemenceau

PostSat Feb 11, 2023 2:08 pm

Hello everyone, I'm an amateur so sorry if my post disturbs,
I use a black magic television studio console (HD I think), since I did the ventura update on my 2020 macbook pro, my black magic does not recognize my input source ... I am in 1080p50. However when I try with another computer there is no problem. Can anyone help me please??
THANKS !

trb157

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 1:43 pm

Upgraded to Ventura 13.2.1. I am running analog video playback machines through a analog to SDI Mini Converter and then to a UltraStudio 4K to my iMac via Thunderbolt 2-3 converter. Currently, the Mac recognizes the UltraStudio and the Mini Converter and Media Express recognizes the Ultra Studio as a device. However, when playing a video and attempting to capture it with Media express, there is no signal or recognition that a video signal is available to capture. UltraStudio won't even let me manually select SDI as an input with embedded audio. Media Express is 3.8.1, Desktop video is 12.4.2 and Mini Converters are 8.0. This all worked fine until I switched to Ventura which was mandated by my employer. Is this simply an issue with Ventura or something else? Any thoughts are appreciated.

PhotoJoseph

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 3:39 pm

trb157 wrote:Upgraded to Ventura 13.2.1. I am running analog video playback machines through a analog to SDI Mini Converter and then to a UltraStudio 4K to my iMac via Thunderbolt 2-3 converter. Currently, the Mac recognizes the UltraStudio and the Mini Converter and Media Express recognizes the Ultra Studio as a device. However, when playing a video and attempting to capture it with Media express, there is no signal or recognition that a video signal is available to capture. UltraStudio won't even let me manually select SDI as an input with embedded audio. Media Express is 3.8.1, Desktop video is 12.4.2 and Mini Converters are 8.0. This all worked fine until I switched to Ventura which was mandated by my employer. Is this simply an issue with Ventura or something else? Any thoughts are appreciated.

The only suggestion I have is to try the Desktop Video clean-up technique described above:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=170330&p=935223#p916983

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

bobbydp

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 5:21 pm

FWIW: Reporting Success with the following specs:

Mac Pro 2019 Ventura 13.3.1
DaVinci Resolve 18.1.4
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K 12.4

I didn't have to do any kext or terminal fixes. Just a plain vanilla upgrade to Ventura in April 2023. I get playback and normal functionality with simple upgrade.

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 2:07 am

It seems if everything works under Monterey, upgrading to Ventura doesn’t ruin it.
But the problems arise if you start installing Desktop Video under Ventura, due to the very strict security.

Gary film

PostThu May 18, 2023 2:54 pm

PhotoJoseph wrote:
The only suggestion I have is to try the Desktop Video clean-up technique described above:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=170330&p=935223#p916983

Hello,
Still have the same problem and looking for some help!

Desktop Video Setup v.12.4.2 does not recognize my UltraStudio4Kmini. The US4KM is connected to my Mac (MacbookProM1Max 16in 64Gb 4Tb Ventura 13.3.1) via Thunderbolt 3. The Mac's 'System report' recognizes the device and provides all information on it: Blackmagic Design / UltraStudio 4K Mini / Thunderbolt 3 / v.18.1 / 40Gbits/s. But Desktop Video Setup detects nothing. I have uninstalled version 12.4.2 of DVSetup and tried version 12.4.1, but to no avail. I have also reinstalled Ventura, but it didn't help. I attempted to move the BlackmagicIO.kext driver to the Extensions library through Terminal, but I received an error message saying "Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e
Unsupported Error: one or more extensions are unsupported to load "

I have submitted a service ticket via email to BM's technical support, but I haven't received any response (or even an acknowledgement of my service request).

Any ideas?

Marc

MacBookProM1Max 16in 64Gb 4To
Ventura 13.3.1
Resolve 18.1
UltraStudio4K Mini
Davinci Resolve Speed Editor
BMPCC4K
ATOMOS NEON 24in SDI
BenQ PD3200U 32in
Gary
MacBook Pro 16 M1Max 64Gb 4Tb | Ventura 13.5.1
Resolve 18.6.2 | Desktop Video 12.7 | Blackmagic CLOUD | Project Server
UltraStudio 4K Mini | Speed Editor | BMPCC4K (v8.1)
ATOMOS NEON 24in 4K HDR | BENQ PD3205U | QNAP TVS-h1288x

Howard Roll

PostThu May 18, 2023 3:57 pm

I just installed DTV on some brand new M2 minis (Ventura) for use with the US4KM and had no issues. Did you go back to security settings and allow access? I did notice when clicking around that there are several Blackmagic processes running in the background. It should work, sorry I can't offer concrete help but they were client machines, I'm still on Intel.

Good Luck

Gary film

PostThu May 18, 2023 4:13 pm

Thank you, Howard, for following up. Yes, I did authorize the activation of Blackmagic extensions during the reinstallation of Desktop Video Setup in the Security tab of the Mac's System Preferences panel. I don't understand why DVS suddenly stopped recognizing the UltraStudio4KMini. I opened a project in Resolve, and the monitor wasn't connected. I checked Resolve's system settings and realized that Resolve didn't recognize the UltraStudio4KMini image monitoring device. I opened DVS, but with no luck. I checked the Mac's system report and confirmed that the Thunderbolt connection was working. From there, I couldn't find any way to restore the device detection in DVS.

Same specs as bobbydp, but without the same success, obviously...

bobbydp wrote:FWIW: Reporting Success with the following specs:

Mac Pro 2019 Ventura 13.3.1
DaVinci Resolve 18.1.4
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K 12.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated in exchange for my eternal (or almost eternal) gratitude.

Marc
Gary

Gary film

PostThu May 25, 2023 5:34 pm

Hi,

For those who have the same problem and are still, like me, waiting for a solution from BM's technical support, here is a temporary solution I have to offer. The solution is based on my own experience, but it at least allows me to work. Maybe it will be useful to you.

Problem: Desktop Video v12.4.2 application on macOS Ventura v13.3.1, v13.3.1(a), and v13.4 does not recognize monitoring devices such as the UltraStudio 4K Mini due to the new security features of macOS Ventura and the handling of application security certificates (even for applications provided by identified developers).

Solution:
Uninstall Desktop Video using the ''Uninstall Desktop Video'' application available in the Blackmagic Desktop Video folder.
Reboot.
Search fot the latest version of ''Blackmagic Desktop Video'' from the Blackmagic Design Support Center website (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/). Go to Desktop Video v12.4.2 - 8th Dec 2022.
Download.
Install.
Authorize the activation of Blackmagic extensions during the installation of Desktop Video v12.4.2 in the Security tab of the Mac's System Preferences panel.
Reboot.
Open DVSv12.4.2. No device will be recognized by the program, meaning no device is connected.
Then, from your main Macintosh HD, open the ''Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Blackmagic DeckLink'' folder.
In the ''Blackmagic DeckLink'' folder, run the ''DesktopVideoHelper'' file in Terminal. Just double-click on it. Once the file is executed in Terminal, your monitoring device will appear and be added to the list of devices detected by DVSv12.4.2.
Close Terminal.

Every time you log in to macOS, boot or reboot the computer, you will need to re-run the ''DesktopVideoHelper'' file in the Blackmagic DeckLink folder. To make it easier, just create an alias in the parent folder and copy/move the alias on your desktop or in the application folder where is your DVSv12.4.2 program.
When you open the program, simply click on the alias of the ''DesktopVideoHelper'' file to display the monitoring devices such as the UltraStudio 4K Mini... until the next update of Desktop Video or any other solution provided by the Blackmagic technical support team. Soon. I hope.

Best regards,
Marc
Gary

Uli Plank

PostFri May 26, 2023 1:45 am

So glad to have banned Ventura to my sandbox system.
Maybe Apple wants to appeal to government authorities or banks, but for the rest of us it’s a PITA.
No issues at all here with Monterey, I’ll stick to it as long as I can.

Howard Roll

PostFri May 26, 2023 5:29 am

It seems you could move the app to the Login Items and save the trouble of relaunching on each re-boot. Then again you may just need to allow the background processes, I have them off.

This is the page I was looking for. I don't know what these files are or what they do. They seem to correlate to the Blackmagic launchdaemon and launchhelper files in the Library.

There's a rabbit hole of background processes, I try not to dig too deep.

Good Luck
login.png
login.png (95.65 KiB) Viewed 28885 times

launch.png
launch.png (131.85 KiB) Viewed 28885 times

Gary film

PostFri May 26, 2023 5:59 pm

Howard Roll wrote:It seems you could move the app to the Login Items and save the trouble of relaunching on each re-boot.

Thank you Howard for the advice.
I added the DesktopVideoHelper file to the list of programs run at login, and it works perfectly.

As far as I'm concerned, the issue is resolved.

Let's keep it in mind, as I believe we might need to revisit it in the next update of Ventura or Desktop Video.

Thank you!

Marc
Gary

Burtonmandy

PostThu Jul 06, 2023 9:51 pm

Thanks so much for this solution, I was pulling my hair out until I found this discussion.

Zweistein

PostMon Aug 21, 2023 11:16 am

Gary film wrote:Solution:
Uninstall Desktop Video using the ''Uninstall Desktop Video'' application available in the Blackmagic Desktop Video folder.
Reboot.
Search fot the latest version of ''Blackmagic Desktop Video'' from the Blackmagic Design Support Center website (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/). Go to Desktop Video v12.4.2 - 8th Dec 2022.
Download.
Install.
Authorize the activation of Blackmagic extensions during the installation of Desktop Video v12.4.2 in the Security tab of the Mac's System Preferences panel.
Reboot.
Open DVSv12.4.2. No device will be recognized by the program, meaning no device is connected.
Then, from your main Macintosh HD, open the ''Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/Blackmagic DeckLink'' folder.
In the ''Blackmagic DeckLink'' folder, run the ''DesktopVideoHelper'' file in Terminal. Just double-click on it. Once the file is executed in Terminal, your monitoring device will appear and be added to the list of devices detected by DVSv12.4.2.
Close Terminal.

Doesn't work for me on:

MacBook Pro, 14-inch, 2023
Apple M2 Pro
macOS 13.5.1
Resove 18.5.1 BUILD 6
Desktop Video 12.5
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

Howard Roll

PostMon Aug 21, 2023 11:36 pm

I’d try using the finder to delete all the Blackmagic files from library as well as deleting desktop video. Just don’t delete your Resolve DB. I installed DV on 2 m2 minis and IIRC there was a popup that asked if I wanted to allow Blackmagic permission for something and I clicked no by accident. The US4k wouldn’t connect on that machine until I deleted everythin and started over. These were brand new machines with no other software so be cautious.

Good Luck

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 12:29 am

Second that. If you don't follow all those messages, the security measures in Ventura can be serious PITA.

Zweistein

PostWed Aug 23, 2023 10:58 am

UPDATE

It was my mistake, I don't have the new 3G version of the Ultrastudio Monitor, but the old Thunderbolt 2 one.
I got the new 3G version now and I can confirm: with the Blackmagic UltraStudio Monitor 3G everything works flawless again.

My signal chain is MacBook Pro M2 > TB4 cable > UltraStudio Monitor 3G > HDMI cable > EIZO monitor
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

Return to Live Production