Micro Converter SDI to HDMI not working with 50p

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Betzner

Micro Converter SDI to HDMI not working with 50p

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 6:00 pm

Hi,

we have an issue with our Micro Converters SDI to HDMI. They work fine in 1,5G mode (1920x1080) but as soon as we feed 50p from an ATEM some of our 43inch screens don't show an image anymore. The image keeps dropping out and the displays show "no signal". It doesn't happen with all of the displays. Some displays from another brand have no issues.

When I change the Micro Converter to an old Mini Converter SDI to HDMI it works well with the same ATEM settings and the same cables. I even checked this with a Decimator. As soon as I use the Decimator to convert from SDI to HDMI it works on those displays. Only the Micro Converters show this problem.

The issue get more weird: If I insert the Decimator into the SDI chain (SDI In to SDI Out) the Micro Converters start to work on those displays.

It is no cable length issue - HDMI is 10cm (changed it to 1m cable) and I tested with SDI cables from 3m to 80m. Same issues with all cable length. The Micro Converters are on the most recent firmware.

Anyone with similar problems or a solution to this?

Thanks and cheers

Robert
Last edited by Robert Betzner on Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas Jaeger

Re: Micro Converter SDI to HDMI not working with 50p

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 4:06 pm

Either it could:

3G Level A or B Problem.
Which ATEM is it?
Old or new?

Or it could:

Micro Converter only use YCC 4:2:0 or 4:2:2.
Not 4:4:4 and not RGB Colorspace.
MiniConverter can do this but not the MicroConverter
ATEM Constellation HD 2ME with Third Party Controller, 2x Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, 1x Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini, RGBLink Mini, AV MATRIX HVS 0402U, 1x Canon XA55, 1x Canon XA25, Sony ZV-E10, 2x Domecam BOLIN with Controller

Robert Betzner

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 9:01 am

Hey Andreas,

thanks for the reply!

No I don't think it is a Level A/B problem because the same Micro Converters work fine on another monitor with the same video source.

The source is an Atem 2ME Broadcast switcher set to 50p (Level B).

Indeed the monitor with issues shows the picture from time to time for 1 second and then fails again. Strange thing. I've ordered a bidirectional converter now as I heard that it uses another chipset. Maybe this one works with the specific monitor. The old mini converters are somewhat uncomfortable because they need 12V. I can power the micro converters straight out of the monitors USB interface without the need for a PSU.

I'll check with the bidi converters and post the results.

Thanks and cheers

Robert

Robert Betzner

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 6:59 pm

Just for your information:

Today I tried the bidirectional SDI-HDMI converters on that monitor. It did not work. No signal.

So as far as I could test it, this monitor only works with the "old" mini converter SDI-HDMI and Decimators. None of the recent BMD converters work with that kind of monitor. Seems to be a weird issue of the SDI signal that is coming out of the new converters.

Seems that I have to use the old mini converters with this monitor.

Cheers

Robert

Andreas Jaeger

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:17 am

Yes an ugly Issue.

But "this is Blackmagic".
Its "magic", or not....

I had a Event, there where an TVS HD and an Microconverter and an Videoassist, but no Picture on the Videoassist.
No chance to get it.

An cheap China Converter, instead the Microconverter, helps. :shock:
Not funny.
But "this is Blackmagic" 8-)
ATEM Constellation HD 2ME with Third Party Controller, 2x Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, 1x Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini, RGBLink Mini, AV MATRIX HVS 0402U, 1x Canon XA55, 1x Canon XA25, Sony ZV-E10, 2x Domecam BOLIN with Controller

BennoZ

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 10:10 am

I always have cheap converters and splitters with me to solve this kind of problems. Most of the time everything works perfect but sometimes it isn’t.

Return to Live Production