Reliability of mini-converters

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

philetaylor

Reliability of mini-converters

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi.

I am in the process of installing a fixed HD-SDI distribution system around a sports stadium to support a big screen. I have already installed a ring of 16 core single-mode fibre and am currently investigating options for transmission equipment.

By far the cheapest way would be to install SDI-Fibre mini-converters in each area to take the various feeds from broadcasters and send feeds to the big screen and TV distribution system etc. My concern is the lack of resilience in case of failure.

I have spoken to a number of people and many (rightly or wrongly) say that "BMD kit is made to a price and when (if) it goes wrong you replace it, whereas our kit doesn't go wrong" (or words to that effect)

Obviously I know that all electronic equipment fails eventually and at the price of the BMD kit, I can just buy a couple of spares and still be a lot cheaper than most of the competition but it has started me thinking.

One of the manufacturers I have looked at is http://www.dsmbtech.com/ their kit looks pretty good and having spoken to their MD they offer things like redundant PSU and TCP/IP control/alarms which could be useful but i'm still not sure whether I can justify the extra cost (more than double) for the added redundancy and flexibility offered by their kit. I also like the fact that ALL connections into their units are by removable SFP modules and they offer 2, 8 or 16 slot chassis for any combination of HD-SDI/HDMI/Composite or Fibre LC connections.

I would be interested to hear what people think or if they can recommend any other manufacturers that are worth looking at?

Cheers

Phil

denes44

Re: Reliability of mini-converters

PostSat Jan 04, 2014 11:45 pm

In our local studio we have an SDI->Analog converter, which used 24/7 for almost 18 months, without any problem.
We also have a GPI & Tally interface, which only used 3-4 hours a week, and it often freezes, only a power cycle helps.
In our big OB Van, we have an OpenGear frame with fiber converters, although we haven't used them much. The frame can have reduntant supply, and some kind of ethernet control I think.

MambaFiber.com

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 1:33 am

I have about 10 sets of the SDI-fiber coveters, and use then in some very harsh outdoor conditions. I also have many SDI-Audio Audio-SDI units. My oldest units are about four years old and still going strong. My only failures have been the small power adapters, I have had two go bad so far. A minor annoyance when they go, I have plenty of spares.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

philetaylor

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 pm

That's good to know. I think that I will go for the BMD solution. With what I have saved, I can buy plenty of spare PSUs and some spare fibre converters and still have lots of cash left over!

Phil

Jonas Bengtson

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 8:44 pm

we have so many of them i can't even count anymore.

to this date, no converter has broke

Return to Live Production