URSA Broadcast G2 - full servo lens

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Pawel Skaw

URSA Broadcast G2 - full servo lens

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 6:08 pm

Hi everyone. I am looking for FULL Servo (zoom and focus) optics for Broadcast G2. I need optics that I can remotely control via the Camera Control Panel.
What do you recommend?

Mike Ambrose

Re: URSA Broadcast G2 - full servo lens

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 6:55 pm

Depends on what focal length and sensor size you want.

Generally speaking, most B4 lenses with digital control will work.

For example, the Fujinon LA16X8BRM-XB1A works perfectly.

Pawel Skaw

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 8:19 pm

I'm interested in:
- Fujinon 7.6-130mm f/1.8-2.3 ENG Style Lens with Servo Focus & Zoom
- Fujinon XA20SX8.5BRM-K3 8.5-170mm Telephoto 2/3 inch ENG lens with ergonomic digital servo, Quick Zoom, and inner focus
- Canon KJ13x6B KRS - 2/3” Wide Angle Lens

LA16X8BRM-XB1A - this is full servo? no semi servo (only electrical zoom)?

LouisBacker

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 10:05 pm

Pawel Skaw wrote:I'm interested in:
- Fujinon 7.6-130mm f/1.8-2.3 ENG Style Lens with Servo Focus & Zoom
- Fujinon XA20SX8.5BRM-K3 8.5-170mm Telephoto 2/3 inch ENG lens with ergonomic digital servo, Quick Zoom, and inner focus
- Canon KJ13x6B KRS - 2/3” Wide Angle Lens

LA16X8BRM-XB1A - this is full servo? no semi servo (only electrical zoom)?

I have both the Fujinon XA20SX8.5BRM-K3 8.5-170mm and the Fujinon LA16X8BRM-XB1A which I use with the Ursa Broadcast G1 & G2's

The XA20SX8 does not have a focus control motor (as I found out, after purchasing). The LA16XBRM does. On the Ursa Broadcast, you can tap-hold the flip-out LCD touchscreen and the LA16 lens will focus. You can get a bolt-on FSM-30B focus module for the XA20SX8, but not tried it, as it's a relatively expensive add-on versus the lens cost.
The 4K LA16 lens is the one to go for, but it really could have done with a bit more range, or a doubler.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Mike Ambrose

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:06 pm

Pawel Skaw wrote:LA16X8BRM-XB1A - this is full servo? no semi servo (only electrical zoom)?

Yes, it's weird. This lens was designed specifically for the UBG2 but yet Fujinon's model number for it suggests it should have a focus servo. It definitely does though as BMD has confirmed this through forum posts and I own one and have controlled it over SDI.

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 7:09 pm

Mike Ambrose wrote:It definitely does though as BMD has confirmed this through forum posts and I own one and have controlled it over SDI.

I have been on a waiting list for this lens for 10 months now, with no sign of it arriving, Mike. I'm about to buy my annual major purchase once tax liabilities are clear and have been considering going PL mount/cine. Does anyone have any experience with the Fujinon HA13x4.5BERD-S48B, which is a digital focus/aperture servo lens, on the UBG2?

Howard Roll

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 7:38 pm

The HA13X4.5 is an underwhelming lens on an LDX86, I don't imagine it would fare much better on a Blackmagic camera. I recently replaced a 22X with the 13X on a show I was cutting, after a few shows switched back to the 22X. Lots of ugly flares, the extender makes it super green (kinda useless), and it's probably a full stop slower than advertised. Unless you really need that last couple mm at the wide end the 22Xs are much better performers all around.

Good Luck

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 8:33 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The HA13X4.5 is an underwhelming lens on an LDX86, I don't imagine it would fare much better on a Blackmagic camera.

Thanks Howard - this explains why I see them for a lot less than other Fuji 'HA' lenses then. Not a patch on the Canon HJ11 then I presume, either? I wish I could get hold of the LA lens but I'm sick of waiting.

BennoZ

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:22 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:Not a patch on the Canon HJ11 then I presume, either?

I don't know what you mean by this sentence; Google Translate doesn't help me but the Canon HJ11 works perfect on all Ursa's. Also with the Blackmagic zoom- and focus remote. CA correction also works perfect.

Steve Fishwick

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 8:42 am

BennoZ wrote:I don't know what you mean by this sentence; Google Translate doesn't help me but the Canon HJ11 works perfect on all Ursa's.

I'm sorry Benno, I didn't realise English wasn't your first language but then I didn't have you precisely in mind when I was writing it :lol: That was exactly what I was asking, since the HJ11 was and is a premium HD lens, and I've heard it works very well - I loved my J11 too - I assumed this Fujinon HA 13x wide angle would be also be a premium HD lens. Howard confirmed it isn't and that's why I possibly see them going for relatively little on eBay, compared to other HA lenses and certainly less than good HJ11s.

LouisBacker

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 1:45 pm

We initially went down the route of putting inexpensive eBay-special Canon B4 lenses on our UB1s, before buying some Fujinon LA16's. The difference in image qualiity was striking, so we ditched the Canons.

Now armed with our G2's we rented some Canon HD box lenses and expensive 4Ks and even compared to the pretty-good Fujinon LA16, there was a distinct leap in image quality out of the G2. We can't afford to invest in £60k plus lenses, so for events requiring 20x zoom plus, rental is the only option.

It did demonstrate that putting old B4 lenses on the Ursa Broadcast doesn't make sense, much like putting cheap narrow tyres on a Ferrari.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Steve Fishwick

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 2:59 pm

LouisBacker wrote:Now armed with our G2's we rented some Canon HD box lenses and expensive 4Ks and even compared to the pretty-good Fujinon LA16, there was a distinct leap in image quality out of the G2.

Are you saying the HD box lenses are better than the Fujinon 4K lens, Louis? In any case, as I say I can't get hold of the LA16, for love nor money, so I am probably going to fit the PL mount and get a set of DZO pictor zooms. It's a pity because I really am comfortable with ENG configurations and the flexibility of B4s but I'm not a studio guy and I don't really want to go the route of second hand eBay, I only did that for a quick and dirty rig when I first got the UBG2, whilst waiting for a proper kit lens. I'm getting a lot of potential clients with the old, 'does it do shallow depth of field?', as well. :lol:

LouisBacker

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 3:55 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:Are you saying the HD box lenses are better than the Fujinon 4K lens, Louis?

In an indoor conference scenario the Canon Digisuper XJ25 HD (which we ended up purchasing) presented a nicer image than our Fujinon LA16s. You have to balance it with practicality however, as the box lens, Vinten 700H head and tripod weighs in at around 50kg and cost around £14k.

Steve Fishwick

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 4:03 pm

LouisBacker wrote:In an indoor conference scenario the Canon Digisuper XJ25 HD (which we ended up purchasing) presented a nicer image than our Fujinon LA16s. You have to balance it with practicality however, as the box lens, Vinten 700H head and tripod weighs in at around 50kg and cost around £14k.

Thanks Louis. I obviously meant picture quality, since I don't intend to lug one of those around. :) That's pretty cheap for a box lens too - both my J11 and 17 cost not much less than that, nearly 20 years ago.

Return to Live Production