Picture in Picture - ATEM Options?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tim Aspeny

Picture in Picture - ATEM Options?

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 8:14 pm

Will the ATEM Constellation 1 M/E enable me to do the following picture-in-picture outputs? See sample layouts.

No need to make any size or position changes on the fly. We only need to change from full-screen to 2 video source layout to 3 video source layout.

Is this possible with the Constellation 1 M/E?

pip-sample2-500w.jpg
PIP 2 video sources
pip-sample2-500w.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 2464 times

pip-sample3-500w.jpg
PIP 3 video sources
pip-sample3-500w.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 2464 times

BennoZ

Re: Picture in Picture - ATEM Options?

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:14 pm

Well, when I read the specs it says it has no supersource so you can't do it with that.
It has 4 keyers but only 1 DVE so it looks like it can't do the job with the keyers also, because you need three DVE's.

However the Atem Mini Extreme (SDI/HDMI) can do it. You can even get 6 pip's and a background in this mixer --> 4 with supersource and 2 extra with the keyers.
However with Supersource you can't create a border with the Mini series. If you want a border you can only make two pip's with the Keyers, or create an overlay with cutouts for the supersource with four pip's.
With macro's you can easily switch between layouts.

Tim Aspeny

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:47 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply.

So, what I need is the SuperSource functionality? That's the key feature required to make this work?

If so, I'll search the specs to be certain that the ATEM we choose has it.

You mentioned that the SuperSource on the Minis won't do borders. Will the ATEM SDI or Constellation lineup (excepting the 1 M/E) do it? If not, can the borders be created as part of the graphic / image layer?

Is there a definitive resource that lists what functions are available (such as borders, etc) for each ATEM model?

BennoZ

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 9:08 am

Yes, you need supersource, OR a minimum of 3 keyers with minimal 3 DVE’s. (You can assign keyers several ways but for a pip you need a DVE). So I red the Constellation 1 ME HD has four keyers but only 1 DVE. So you can make only 1 pip with it.

Supersource is a kind of ‘pip generator’, you can assign it and it will become a source, so with one press of a button it shows up.

The information about Blackmagic equipment is is on their website but it’s very minimal. I believe that only mixers with more than 1 ME have supersource, that’s why I also mentioned the Atem Mini Extreme: If you have no moving pip’s and want borders/shadows you can do it with an overlay instead of a background picture, just like this:

5AB90D5E-386C-4E54-8969-208558E4FE26.jpeg
5AB90D5E-386C-4E54-8969-208558E4FE26.jpeg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 2380 times

There is a foreground with four cutouts where the four camerafeeds are placed behind. You can create anything you like.

Return to Live Production