Experiences with LKV 378 (HDMI Extender over optic fiber) an

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Viktor Laga

Experiences with LKV 378 (HDMI Extender over optic fiber) an

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 8:19 am

Anybody around, who has experiences with this device and ATEM TVS?

LKV378 HDMI Extender over optic fiber http://www.lenkeng.biz/ProductDetails_HDMI+fiber+optic+Extender_49.html

It looks like this is about €120 and longer cable runs should also much more affordable than SDI cables, HDMI to SDI converts and repeaters. I know, that there are a number of SDI-Fibre solutions around, but in most cases they are more expensive than this one.

I'm especially interested in resolution (720p vs. 1080i) and possible cable suggestions.

Thanks,

LagaV

Dominic Irving

Re: Experiences with LKV 378 (HDMI Extender over optic fiber

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 am

How far do you need to go?? I would say the fiber cable is the expensive bit!! If it's indoors and a permanent install these units would be good as they don't look very robust (HDMI isn't anyway) and you could get away with the cheaper fiber cable! If it's out doors and being setup and de-rigged often the tactical is the only option a or other wise it breaks or won't lay flat so has to be taped down.

Although it's big money multicore tactical fiber cable is worth it, lay one cable and be able to run several cameras off it, plus have some redundancy in it as they can break!
Lots of Blackmagic kit in a twin Dish mobile KA-Sat Van for Broadcast and Internet lives

Viktor Laga

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 11:02 am

I have currently two usage scenarios in mind:

a) fixed setup - cable run around 50m
b) Mobile setup up to 150m cable run.

Even the tactical fibre seems to be cheaper than high quality SDI cable. E.g. Belden GMTTA01 qoutes for about €2.15.

LagaV

Dominic Irving

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Maybe compared to Belden 1694A cable which is very good, however, consider this...

SDI cable is fine at 50m, actually I've concreted a 50 and a 100 together and it's been ok

I've picked up SDI repeaters and SDI to HDMI converters from hong Kong on eBay for £30

Fiber cable (even tactical) can break way way more easily than SDI, unless you have a back up ( I use two core fiber as a min) you could be stuck.

BNC connectors are cheap, fiber connectors are way more expensive and LC fiber connectors, I use them with Blackmagic mini converters are pretty fragile too.

You can fit a BNC connector "in the field" with nothing more than pair of pliers if you need to, a fiber fitting kit is going to start from £400+ And is far more of a pain to do in the field!

Don't get me wrong I love my 300meter fiber reel, and if you need those sorts of lengths it's the only option (apart from Triax, but I'm not that wealthy) but if it's short runs it maybe more hassle than it's worth??
Lots of Blackmagic kit in a twin Dish mobile KA-Sat Van for Broadcast and Internet lives

Viktor Laga

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 1:15 pm

DominicI, thanks for your insights.

To summarize: Stay away from the challenges fibre inherits as long as possible. If something can be achieved with SDI take SDI.

Return to Live Production