Atem Constellation - no connection via IP

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

alexnatekin

Atem Constellation - no connection via IP

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 11:06 pm

I recently upgraded my setup from Atem Mini Extreme to Constellation HD 2 M/E.

My key problem is that I cannot connect to Constellation via ethernet :cry:
The switcher is working fine, but can be controlled only via USB. Without LAN connection it cannot connect to Hyperdecks, and I cannot control it via apps like MixEffect.

While troubleshooting, I followed several threads, which didn't help yet could be helpful:

1. First I tried to manually change IP from 192.168.10.<something> to 192.168.2.20 (also changing the gateway). My current network is at 192.168.2.x and all my other BMD devices are on this network.
Trying out static IP from various available ranges didn't help. With all my previous devices it was the other way around: I got the assigned IP addresses and used them later. Unfortunately, it didn't work this time.

2. The strange thing is that my router doesn't see the switcher at all. I tried both direct connection to the router (network controller) as well as connection over a switch (just like all other devices in my video rack). It doesn't show any new added devices (in order to register them in the network). Yet I can can control the switcher via USB and everything else works fine.

3. My next step was to double check if Constellation is anywhere on the network. I did it in both router admin panel and with the help of NetworkKit application suggested here on the forum (tried terminal arp -a too).
My hope was to find Constellation Mac address and try to manually add/register the device in the network. Unfortunately, this also didn't help. At least now I know that BMD Mac addresses start with 7C:2E:0D :)

4. Upon further investigation it turns out that Constellation is my first BMD product that doesn't support DHCP: Webpresenter, Atem Mini and Mini Extreme, Hyperdecks (HD Plus and HD Pro) and even Streaming Bridge - they all have DHCP enabled in their respective Setup applications. Unlike Constellation with only static IP settings.

At this moment I don't know where to go next.
Surely I'm not the only one with such struggle, transitioning from Atem Minis to Constellation. Maybe the solution is so trivial that it is common knowledge :roll:

Could you please help me with this?

Lance Lewis

Re: Atem Constellation - no connection via IP

PostSat Dec 17, 2022 4:23 pm

You sound like you know your way around networking so I might be telling you something you already know but here goes anyway:

When manually setting your IP on your computer it must be different than when setting it on your ATEM.

So let's say your ATEM is 192.168.10.10
You would set your computer to 192.168.10.x
Where x is any number other than 10 or 1 and below whatever number your network connection allows. To keep it simple, set it to 5. So the computer might be 192.168.10.5

For the gateway you would set it to 192.168.10.1
For the subnet it typically would be 255.255.255.0

Then make sure your wireless adapter is turned off.

Like I said, maybe you already know this, but if someone is only dabbling in networking to get their ATEM working this is a common mistake because you see the IP for the ATEM and think....oh, that's the number I need to put into the networking adapter on my computer because it's a direct connect. But it's not.
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 11:17 pm

At first .. What router/switch do you use for networking ?

I have problem with any old mikrotik with 100mbps ports .. Worked with old atems .. With new Constelation serie not work .. I have here Constelation ME1 and ME2 .. And i was tested it this week with Atem MINI EXTREME SDI and there was the same problem .. ATEM is disconnecting from atem control software .. I can see it on ping too .. WHEN im pinging atem from computer .. I get 2x reply .. after that 8x no reply .. after that 4x reply .. 12 x no reply ... etc .. Control software sometime connect for 2 sec .. or 5 sec .. after that disconnect ..

I was changed that microtik for another microtik with 100mbs ports (but have not 2.4G wifi) .. And with that works perfect .. SO its not problem with 100mbps interface ..

So my sollustion for U .. Try ping atem at first .. if atem is 192.168.2.20 , then open command line on windows (push windows button + R and type CMD) , or on mac open terminal (push COmmand button + space and type terminal ) .. and after that type :
ping 192.168.2.20

U must get reply every second ..

oh on windows type ping -t 192.168.2.20 , for endless pinging ..

For break push ctrl+c

If U not getting ping , try another SWITCH or ROUTER ..

And one good thing with networking .. Checkout yout DHCP server in router .. And change his settings for adresses , for example 192.168.2.50 - 192.168.2.250 ... Server will assign for devices adresses from range 50 to 250 .. And u have free adresses 2-49 for fixed assinged adresses in device (like ATEM) , whitch have not DHCP support ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Arnowww

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 7:59 pm

Hi, just got a new constellation HD2M/E, and the same issue. I tried to Connect through a tplink switch, and also with direct rj45 between Atem and laptop, and also with direct USB between Atem and laptop.

It works fine with usb wire: Atem is detected, and the software displays the 2m/e buttons on the laptop screen. Like any Atem should !

Using RJ 45, constellation is found using the connexion panel (name and ip detected), but when I click Connect, the Atem software doesnt display the buttons panel. The Atem setup software utility doesnt find the Atem (strange: Connexion panel find it, but not the setup utility ?!)

I already got 2 Atem mini pro and 2 Atem extrem, never had this issue before

Any idea? Is it only an ip issue ?

alexnatekin

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 9:22 am

Sorry for not posting the solution earlier

My case was luckily resolved in the most expected way:

-After a few more days of debugging my unit, I brought it back to the reseller
-Reseller confirmed that I got a defective unit
-I got myself a new properly working unit which didn't have the issue straight out of the box. Everything worked properly just as expected

Return to Live Production