Mini Recorder, Adobe FMLE, Mac Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Reginald Richardson

Mini Recorder, Adobe FMLE, Mac Mini

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Hello one and all,
I have browse almost every where i can Google to see if i can find the solution to this little issue, i even contacted BMD support desk, which lead me to some testing patterns to test, but not to the solution of my problem.

Equipment:
BMD ATEM TVS
BMD Mini Recorder Thunderbolt
Mac Mini i5 (Latest Model) OSX 10.9.1

Software:
Adobe FMLE 3.2
BMD Desktop Media Express 3.2.4
BMD Desktop Video 9.9.2

Settings Atem TVS
ATEM TVS Video set to 720p 59.94

Problem:
When using Adobe FMLE to stream, adobe keep resetting the connection, starting and stopping after every 30seconds or so (seen many complain about this, but no solution)

When using BMD Media Express, and try to capture the video, it stops stating that frames has drop and can't continue, (if i disable that option it continues)...

Contacted BMD helpdesk and informed them of the problem, i was told that they under no circumstances can help or give any assistants with the FMLE issue, but will assist with the Media Express issue.
Now, that turn out to be that the Mac Mini don't have fast disk in order to make the capture, so the only solution for that was to set the Atem TVS to NTSC, this i tried and the problem was SOLVED on the Media express issue (guess i need to invest in a SSD now), however i was not planning to use Media express.
My sole purpose of the Mac Mini is to use Adobe FMLE.

Now taking the information i gathered from BMD helpdesk, i kept the Atem TVS in NTSC mode, and loaded up FMLE, and low and behold, it worked like a charm, no problems at all, no disconnections...

Now, on the Media Express side, i can understand it's saving to disk, so therefore the disk can't keep up with the incoming data of 720p, but on the FMLE part....this has me a bit bazzle as, it's not saving to disk, it's just streaming the data out to the CDN.......
also, i'm not pushing out 720p, my output is set to 550kbps at 540x480res

Now here's the kicker, when i turn off the Audio output on FMLE, it works, no disconnects at all, everything is perfect and this is at 720p (atem Tvs)
However, when i try to only send Audio and no Video FMLE does not capture the audio alone, so nothing is being streamed.

My greatest issue, is that i can't set TVS to NTSC as my equipment are all connected via 720p, or 1080i, for my laptops i set the resolution for 720p......

My question is, where do i seek help for this problem:
1. is the mini recorder having issues sending audio and video at 720p to FMLE?
2. does FMLE has issues receiving audio and video @ 720p from the Mini Recorder?

I don't want to say that the MacMini is the problem, as i'm sure bet many fellow users out there are using MacMini's and Mini Recorder..

questions:
Where can i see the Firmware version of the Mini Recorder?
Can i update the firmware via thunderbolt

I just got the MacMini and the MiniRecorder so they are directly out of the box.

I will try WireCast and see if i'm getting the same issue as FMLE, if not, then i know it's a FMLE issue, if yes, then i'm 100% sure, it has to do with the Mini Recorder.
VidMedia Solutions
ATEM-TVS | ATEM 1 M/E | BMD Mini-Recorder | BMD Smart Duo | BMD Decklink Mini Recorder | BMD MicroConv SDI to HDMI

Reginald Richardson

Re: Mini Recorder, Adobe FMLE, Mac Mini

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 pm

The good news..

Works like a charm in Wirecast..
So back to the drawing board, to find out what's the issue with Adobe FMLE and the BMD Mini Recorder
VidMedia Solutions
ATEM-TVS | ATEM 1 M/E | BMD Mini-Recorder | BMD Smart Duo | BMD Decklink Mini Recorder | BMD MicroConv SDI to HDMI

Scott Ryan

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 pm

Check your CPU and memory usage when running FMLE.

Chad

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 pm

One of the problems is that FMLE only supports 44.1k audio, while the blackmagic devices provide 48k audio which has to be converted (causing problems in FMLE). However, there have also been many reports about problems when enabling audio through Blackmagics drivers while using Final Cut or other NLE's when playing back edited video. The problem is most likely in the Blackmagic drivers.

As an aside, when I first started using FMLE with a Intensity Shuttle USB3 I had to turn off the "Input" checkbox in the preview section and only use the "Output" preview in order to get FMLE to run continuously without stopping.

Reginald Richardson

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 12:17 am

I sure bet there most be someone using BMD mini recorder and FMLE, that has solved this issue.

If BMD and Adobe don't talk to each other we the consumers won't be happy at all,
the helpdesk made it clear to me, that there concern is the BMD products and not ADOBE, this i find is and harsh approach, as if their is a problem between ADOBE and BMD, and they don't talk to each other, it will be a continuous pointing of fingers...

Adobe FMLE is free, for adobe won't have much to loose, where as the Mini Recorder is a good product, and if BMD dont' take note of the problem, those budget broadcasters won't be purchasing this product..

I'll keep trying..
Chad, thanks for the tip 44100/48000, i did notice in FMLE that if i use "AAC" i have the option of selecting 48000 but, problem was not solved...
VidMedia Solutions

Reginald Richardson

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 am

Progress has been made...

See posting: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5331711#5331711

Code: Select all
==========================================================================
I think i found the sollution or at least I hope i was able to stream for 5 min without any interruption. So here are my settings for the video option my incoming settings ( assuming you are using the blackmagic intensity to get the footage in) are Blackmagic HD 720p 59.94 -8bit ( that setting only works if you can set your output on the camera to 720, you still can record in full HD on my camera they are two indepnt settings. ) if you can not downsample the video to 720 you have to use Blackmagic HD 1080i 59.94 - 8bit. Your input size for the 720p setting can be almost everyhing in the 700 or lower range. for the 1080i i only can choose the 1920 setting. So I am using the 720p setting for format I use H.264 and here is what trickered the interruption the frame rate your frame rate needs to be at 59.94 and i also have my aspect ratio checked on blackmagic audio the settings can be anything and voila it worked not interruption
==========================================================================

VidMedia Solutions

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 am

we are using decklinks with FMLE without problems .. it must be problem with minirecoder .. We had used little time mac mini + Ultrastudio Express .. Lot of problems .. FMLE not works .. Wirecast produced jerky video .. So we was installed windows on that mac mini .. and FMLE worked without problems ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Reginald Richardson

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 1:37 am

The Verdict...

Got FMLE to work on the MacMini with the BMD Mini Recorder as described above,
However, the i5 is not powerful enough for FMLE, and utilizes about 90% CPU, which results in video/audio going out of sync after a while..

Installed Wirecast 5.0.1 and that does the job perfectly.
using x264 and streaming at 550kbps, it utilizes about 25% CPU
using h264 and streaming at 550kpbs, it utilizes about 40% CPU

In this case, Free is not always the best option.....
this is very good,
VidMedia Solutions

Federico Caprili

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 10:33 pm

My suggestion is:

try to use JackPilot

in the preferences play with the hog mode and or clock drift compensation

Return to Live Production