Mini Recorders Require Software?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ddotoo

Mini Recorders Require Software?

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi, I am planning outputing SDI from decklink quad to a TV screen by passing it through an ultra studio mini recorder connected via thunderbolt to VGA connection then to VGA input on the TV. Will this work or does the USMR require software on a computer to run. Here is a summary of my connection below.

Capture-DLQ(As input)-Computer(for live editing)-DLQ(As output)-USMR-TB/VGA-TV

Thanks

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

Re: Mini Recorders Require Software?

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 pm

The mini recorder needs a computer to work since it takes the sdi or hdmi signal and send that into the computer with the thunderbolt connection.
Why are you converting to VGA?
Its easier to use a sdi to hdmi converter and connect that to the monitor.

Hakan
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Chad

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 9:16 pm

You are confusing thunderbolt with displayport. Your VGA adapter is a displayport to VGA adapter and will not do anything connected to a Mini Recorder's thunderbolt connection. Thunderbolt is meant only to be connected to a computer running special drivers, nothing else.

Scott Smith

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 3:48 am

Agree with Chad. Though thunderbolt and mini display ports are the same type of connector, and do both video as well as data on current macs, that doesn't mean it is outputting video on this device. In this case, that thunderbolt is a data port, not a video one.

If you really need VGA, you'll need to adapt from the SDI or HDMI to get it. But I'd recommend a different monitor with an HDMI or SDI input to start with.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Return to Live Production