Blackmagic Design Teranex Mini 12G VIDEO IP

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

genesseo

Blackmagic Design Teranex Mini 12G VIDEO IP

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 12:24 am

Hello I have two BM Teranex Mini 12G Video IP using two different gateways and subnets.
I can ping both devices but I am unable to see the source list on the destination unit. One is in NYC the other is located in Los Angeles with a direct connection so no firewall is in place.

Source Unit
IP Address: 192.168.10.240
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.10.1

Destination Unit
IP Address: 192.168.11.241
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.11.1

I've also connected the Teranex via USB and tried to manually change Source and Destination information but it's all grayed out. Anyway to change this to resolve the issue ?

How can I send video to the destination?

genesseo

Re: Blackmagic Design Teranex Mini 12G VIDEO IP

PostThu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 pm

Anyone know how I can force these settings ?
* Please review image.
Attachments
grayied_out.png
grayied_out.png (51.26 KiB) Viewed 388 times

Chris Watling

Re: Blackmagic Design Teranex Mini 12G VIDEO IP

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 12:14 am

Hi Genesseo,

I don't want to step on your ideas, if you know that what you're trying to do is pushing the limits, go for it...but, these units are designed to be used to transport video over a local network, not over the internet. They use protocols that your router will happily send around to other local devices on the network, but not out over the WAN. This is why your IP 12G boxes are not seeing each other.

You absolutely could forward these messages on to another network, via the internet, and make the two devices see each other. Once you've achieved this though you're then going to have to work some magic to make the video transport stream work reliably, and these units rely on unobstructed bandwidth, not flaky internet connections with errors and dropouts. This is where streaming protocols have correction built in to their designs to deal with these issues. If you're looking for reliable and low latency streaming of video over the internet, I suggest you look into SRT.

On the other hand, if you've forced this to work, and have some interesting results, please do share!

Return to Live Production