Issues with ATEM hardware and wireless system for tally

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

monsolo69

Issues with ATEM hardware and wireless system for tally

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 3:53 pm

We have an ATEM 2M/E Production Switcher and an ATEM 1M/E Broadcast Panel. We have two types of tally light systems that we're using... system #1: we have 2 stationary Hitachi HD cameras connected via fiber-optic cables to their Hitachi controllers and then back to the ATEM Production Panel via SDI cables, through which the camera tally lights are also activated, utilizing the GPI & Tally Interface. System #2: we have two roaming wireless HD cameras on which we mount iPhones that utilize the app called ATEM Tally... the iPhones communicate back to the system via a Ubiquiti Unifi wireless system. This Ubiquiti Unifi wireless system utilizes two Ubiquiti Unifi access points and PC-based Ubiquiti Unifi controlling software. All of the ATEM and Ubiquiti Unifi networked systems are all connected via a Netgear GS724TP managed switch. Here's where our problem lies: when we connect the Ubiquiti Unifi computer and devices to the Netgear switch, we start getting tally light glitching on the Hitachi cameras and also communication errors between the ATEM Production Switcher and the Broadcast Panel. When we take the Ubiquiti Unifi devices and computer off the network, we no longer have any issues... but then we can't use the iPhones for tally lights on the roaming cameras. So what I'm trying to find out is if there is an issue with integrating the ATEM system into a data LAN network, in general, and a Ubiquiti Unifi wireless system, more specifically. For example, I've read somewhere that the ATEM system uses UDP and not TCP, like the rest of the network does... if that's true. Let's start the discussion and I'll gladly provide more detailed info about any devices on our network, if needed. Thanks for any help anyone can provide...

monsolo69

Re: Issues with ATEM hardware and wireless system for tally

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 11:57 pm

Bump… anyone? A Blackmagic tech perhaps?

Thanks!

Derek

monsolo69

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 2:00 pm

Bump… can I get a Blackmagic tech to answer me on this? It is a very critical issue for us currently…

Thanks!

Derek

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 9:59 am

Well it's pretty simple what is happening here..

The Atem can just have X connections to external devices on IP.. And on the 2ME that numbers lays around 8 i think. And yes they use UDP and they use a system of timers and counters to keep track of packets and response..

Your panel, Your GPIO, Atem Software etc all take a slot each.

But those phone apps also take a slot each. The problem is that being Wireless, the phone app will drop packets sometimes.. In and outbound which will cause random disconnects of slots to the Wireless Tally apps..

This is time generates issues that slots are not freed up anymore and Apps connect to a new slot.. Using up the slots of the atem and atem gets overloaded.

Starting to loose connections on other devices or even worse case the Atem just locks up and you have to reboot it to get going again.

So nice apps and sometimes they work quite good. But i would stop using them. ;)

As for wireless Tally. Rather have some system that you connect to the GPIO unit. And with contact closure lights up remote tally lights.

Or depending on what kind of cameras your wireless cams are. You might look into a proper wireless solution that does tally and even CCU control of the cameras. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

cpvlk7

PostSat Oct 07, 2023 1:30 am

hello @monsolo69! did you ever get this figured out?

ALSO ... are you getting both PROGRAM and PREVIEW TALLIES via the BMD tally box?

thanks!

chris

Return to Live Production