Decklink Fill & Key output issue with Unreal 5.1

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Polo42

Decklink Fill & Key output issue with Unreal 5.1

PostFri Feb 17, 2023 1:24 pm

Hi, I'm using a BlackMagic Decklink 4K Extreme 12G to output Fill & Key signals (SDI 8bit YUV single link 1080i50) in a live production context.
I'm using the BlackMagicMediaOutput plugin for Unreal 5.1 on a Windows 10 PC.
In my Unreal 5.1 project, I have a SceneCapture2D object rendering its view onto a RenderTarget (RTF RGBA8 +/-SRGB), captured by the BlackMagic plugin.
I'm previewing the outputs with a BlackMagic Decklink 4K Extreme (not 12G) on another Windows 10 PC running Media Express.
My problem is the Key signal is inverted: White pixels should be black and vice versa (see picture attached). By chance, there is a "Invert Key Output" option in the BlackMagicMediaOutput plugin. But for some reason, when it is checked, the Fill signal is wrong: It seems to be saturated and/or over contrasted.
I'm not sure what is going on here, or if I'm doing something wrong. I tried several Pixel formats as well as "Apply Linear to sRGB" option with no luck. My feeling is that the problem is in the plugin itself (or the driver?), not handling correctly the RGB channels when alpha is inverted.
Has someone experienced the same issue? Is there a workaround to have the right Fill AND the right Key signals at the same time?
Attachments
BMDIssue.png
Picture showing the BMD configuration and the Fill & Key output preview with and without Key inverted.
BMDIssue.png (152.37 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Polo42

Re: Decklink Fill & Key output issue with Unreal 5.1

PostMon May 29, 2023 4:49 pm

Still no-one to help me with this issue?
BTW, I experience the exact same problem with Unreal 5.2.

Return to Live Production