Letting camera operators have camera control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

KStrak14

Letting camera operators have camera control

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 8:58 pm

Hello! I use Atem Software Control and a studio converter to remotely change the settings on my Blackmagic Studio 4K cameras during live productions. The issue that I'm running into is when something like gain is changed on the camera itself it reverts back the the gain specified in Atem Software control after about 2 seconds. I found a way to relinquish control over the settings to the operator using button mapping, but that cuts my control and reverts back to the last settings I had for the camera when I I turn my controls back on. Is there a way to change settings on the camera itself while maintaining remote control over them?

Blair Christensen

Re: Letting camera operators have camera control

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 9:01 pm

No. This isn't feasible, due to camera control from the ATEM being one way only.

Your desired operation would require ATEM to know current status of the camera, which it does not. You need to decide whether the camera operator controls the camera, or you control the camera, you can't both do it at the same time.

Having said that, there are some exceptions (such as zoom and focus) where ATEM simply says "zoom in" or "zoom out", rather than "set zoom to x value" In other words, it doesn't need to know the current status of the camera.

Perhaps you could explain your use case as to why you both need control, then we may be able to advise further.

Ben Harper

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 9:06 pm

It's quite a fair request; for instance when the supervisors are setting back focus they might want to take over iris control. Of course, they can do this by turning servos off in the lenses but then forget to turn back on sometimes.

There is no reason why this information couldn't be included in the SDI output from the camera, and decoded by the ATEM software, so there is no hardware limitation. In fact that information seems to be in the SDI output as the Studio Viewfinders are effectively doing this and showing things like f-stop on their displays which they are reading from that metadata in the SDI signal. So really, the ATEMs should decode this and could then update the camera controller - making it a two way connection using only software change.

Blair Christensen

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 10:25 pm

Ben Harper wrote:It's quite a fair request; for instance when the supervisors are setting back focus they might want to take over iris control. Of course, they can do this by turning servos off in the lenses but then forget to turn back on sometimes.

You need to come up with a better use-case scenario. Anyone who thinks it's a good idea to manually adjust iris while the servo is engaged should not be allowed near a broadcast camera.

Having said that, we're straying a bit from the OP who was talking about gain on a Studio Camera 4K.

Howard Roll

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 10:39 pm

Ben Harper wrote:In fact that information seems to be in the SDI output as the Studio Viewfinders are effectively doing this and showing things like f-stop on their displays which they are reading from that metadata in the SDI signal. So really, the ATEMs should decode this and could then update the camera controller - making it a two way connection using only software change.

Isn’t the camera generating the status and overlays? I don’t believe SDI metadata has anything to do with it.

No doubt it would be better if there was metadata over SDI, but waiting for a firmware solution could take a minute.

Good luck

KStrak14

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 4:35 pm

Blair Christensen wrote:
Perhaps you could explain your use case as to why you both need control, then we may be able to advise further.

I just wanted to have both control options. There are scenarios where it would be better for the operator to change the settings because I'm too busy directing and there are others where I have the time to make an adjustment and it would be quicker for me to change it myself.

Thanks for the replies!

Blair Christensen

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 3:08 am

What kind of events are you covering? Would it be feasible for the camera operator to have access to a laptop running ATEM Software control, so they could make camera adjustments that way? Alternatively, you could simply ask the operator to make the required adjustments when you notice the need.

Return to Live Production