ATEM 4 M/E Constellation Issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

box5media

ATEM 4 M/E Constellation Issues

PostFri Feb 24, 2023 3:04 am

I'm curious as to how widespread the issues with the Constellation 4 M/E are.

I ordered 4 of them and they are still in plastic and I will send them back.

I feel I don't see a ton of people comment they're having the issues, but I do see them. Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

-Tim
Tim Snyder
President
BOX5 Media

jim.chase

Re: ATEM 4 M/E Constellation Issues

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 2:14 am

Sadly, I would send them back. We are having the same issues (long latency, dropped frames, complete lockup). We sent ours back and they said they can’t replicate the problem. This response is classic “we can’t fix it”. I bet we would have the same problem even if they replaced it. We are going to purchase the 8K instead. We were loaned a constellation 8k while the 4M/E Constellation HD has been at BMD. The 8k has worked flawlessly.

Ben Harper

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 9:47 am

I reported the issues (the standard ones) to support again last week.
They have told me they are aware of the problems reported, the engineers are working on it, but are refusing to give me any sort of ETA on when this product will become usable.

Chardon Waite

PostMon Mar 06, 2023 9:11 am

What are some of your issues?
I have the Constellation 2 M/E I'm having trouble with keying and trouble with Audio dropping out. I was live to SBS on the weekend and I couldn't key my Score Graphics over the live vision. Then later in the broadcast my audio suddenly dropped out. It was horrible.

Ben Harper

PostMon Mar 06, 2023 10:56 pm

There are well discussed issues specific to the 4ME.
Primarily the supersources go laggy and drop frames and the entire unit locks up and requires a reboot "at random".

eMilty

PostTue Mar 07, 2023 12:08 pm

No hands on experience with the 4 M/E but from what I read the problems seems to be around the Super Source and specifically box 1 in Super Source 1. As long as you avoid using box 1 in Super Source 1 it should be fine.

Visionaries

PostWed Mar 08, 2023 5:22 pm

We own the 4 M/E Constellation and have seen the problem with both SuperSources glitching frames intermittently during a live broadcast. This is the first I have heard that Box 1 is the culprit. I was using box 1 and will test to see if I can work a layout without it. Not my first choice. I fortunately did not experience a lockup. Just glitching that lasted a minute or so then went away and then comes back. I have complained to BM support about a month ago and they have told me they are working on a fix but no timeframe has been given.

The recent ATEM application updates have not fixed the problem. I, like many of you, will likely return this if the problem is not resolved soon and purchase the 8K. Let's see if BM really stands behind their products or not.
ATEM 4 Constellation, 1 M/E Panel, MixEffect Pro

Ben Harper

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 1:47 pm

Still getting unsatisfactory responses from support on this issue with zero timeframes to be resolved and no indication if a software update will truly resolve it.

Have spoken to our reseller today to return all our 4M/E Constellation units for full refund.

ready1take1

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 3:24 pm

I am having issues with mine as well.

I haven't used the SS on it yet, but I have had it not give me a signal on some of the outputs, I have to power cycle to get it working again. I have also had all of the outputs flash black randomly including the MV's.
And one time when I power cycled it gave me an odd color space on some of the inputs. Color bars from a camera were all different than they should be. Again I had to power cycle a few time to get it back running again.

A VERY scary issue when you are on show site, to say the least.

I hope this issue can be fixed with a software upgrade but wonder if all of these units need to be recalled ASAP.

Tad Errey

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 9:00 pm

ready1take1 wrote: I have also had all of the outputs flash black randomly including the MV's.

I've had this exact issue on the 2M/E Constellation HD - it's currently back at the distributor and they can't replicate it. Can I ask, is your unit externally referenced?

Tobias Dieterich

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 4:45 am

An update has just been released. Let’s see what it fixes.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

ready1take1

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Tad Errey wrote:
ready1take1 wrote: I have also had all of the outputs flash black randomly including the MV's.

I've had this exact issue on the 2M/E Constellation HD - it's currently back at the distributor and they can't replicate it. Can I ask, is your unit externally referenced?

Yes it is.

Downloading this update to see what these "bug fixes" do.

ready1take1

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 3:49 pm

Tad Errey wrote:

I was able to replicate this issue....sort of. It's still intermittent but I believe the problem stems from using the ref in from a sync generator. I had been using Blackmagic's Mini Converter Sync Generator and thought I had a bad unit. So I tested it with an AJA Gen 10 sync generator and I still had all of the outputs randomly flashing black. Basically the ref input on this thing is wigging it out. I know to expect a few flashes as soon as you plug it in and maybe a few seconds afterword, but the strange thing is I would let 30 seconds to a minute pass and I'd go to put the Gen 10 device back into the rack and all my outputs would flash black again. Anyone else have a problem externally referencing this unit?

Treutervid

PostThu Apr 13, 2023 8:36 pm

We have the 8K, 4M/E and 2 M/E constellations. 8K and 2 M/E have had no issues. The 4 M/E that we have has only had the issue where SS1 has one of the boxes just start glitching at random times. From my observation (not very scientific) t seems to be triggered by either rapid movement or a moiree pattern, but not every time there is movement. I have placed the same source in boxes 1, 2, 3 and 4 and it still happens. SS2 and DVE keys all work great. The 8K has been locked to a synch gen, the 4 M/E has not. Hope this adds a bit to the data base and BMD gets it fixed.

Treutervid

PostSun Apr 16, 2023 5:09 pm

Just seeing announcement of 4ME 4K. Assuming this does not have the same problems (or any others), would BMD be willing to do a trade in of the HD with it’s full purchase price going toward the new? Seems like a fair thing.

Tobias Dieterich

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 6:36 pm

Treutervid wrote:Just seeing announcement of 4ME 4K. Assuming this does not have the same problems (or any others), would BMD be willing to do a trade in of the HD with it’s full purchase price going toward the new? Seems like a fair thing.

Until somebody has this new unit in his hands you cannot know what features BMD brought into the new model. However, the issues for the 4 M/E Constellation HD seem to be fixed.
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Treutervid

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 6:44 pm

Got an email from BMD support saying 9.0.1 fixes this issue. Since connecting and updating the switcher, it certainly seems to have worked. I'll post again if I have any glitches, but so far so good.

Return to Live Production