'ON AIR' blinking (ATEM mini pro)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

owtay1024

'ON AIR' blinking (ATEM mini pro)

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 2:15 am

I am live-streaming with the ATEM mini pro about once a week. (I just got the ATEM in Nov. 2022)
I have a dedicated internet connection that gets me 10mbps upload and 300mbps download.
I am using the 'Streaming Medium' setting, and I observe the data rate to be around 4.6mbps on the multi view screen when I'm live. The video is 1080p and the framerate is set to 30fps.
I am live-streaming to YouTube only with a stream key that is set to receive a bitrate of 3000-6000kbps.

Sometimes the stream will go perfectly smooth, but sometimes in the middle of the stream, the ON AIR button will begin flashing and/or the cache will begin filling up and my livestream is interrupted. This happens unpredictably, even when I speed test the internet to make sure I'm getting around 10mbps of upload speed.
The ATEM doesn't seem to be overheating.

I'm wondering what may be causing these difficulties. Are my streaming settings too high for my internet speed? Should I use 'Streaming Low' instead? Adjust the frame rate?

Any advice is appreciated.

aparris2

Re: 'ON AIR' blinking (ATEM mini pro)

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 6:12 pm

Ok so 10mbps is technically enough you generally want to double what you'll need because the speeds and bandwith will vary.

If ON-AIR is blinking and the cache is filling up its internet related. If you run a speed test and the results are sufficient then i would check the ethernet cable. You potentially have a bad or loose cable. I would also power cycle everything from routet, network switch, atem, pc etc.

DeltaWaterBravo94

Re: 'ON AIR' blinking (ATEM mini pro)

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 4:04 am

I've encountered this several times, both when Livestream direct to YouTube only and when going to Vimeo which is sending to YouTube.

Typically for myself, the Livestream would fill cache, get unstable, etc. and it seems it was due to the ATEM getting hot.

Our Internet will consistently send a Livestream at 6 Mbps to Vimeo with OK on cache via the multiview monitor. I am running at 29.97 fps and high quality streaming when direct to YouTube, not sure about direct to Vimeo, but it's not less than medium quality.

Mostly, my Livestream had issues during my AM church service because there's both Sunday School and the morning service. I bought an aluminum heatsink and including double sided sticky thermal conductive tape, taping it to the bottom of the ATEM. This sits on top of a small double fan in a cage, prebuilt from Amazon seller. It's got an AC cord and variable speed control. I have to run the fan after Sunday School to cool the ATEM.

Since getting the heatsink and fan, zero cache or streaming issues.

PS since I'm doing Vimeo now, I don't have the issue with the ATEM and YouTube of occasionally needing to copy and paste the stream key again to get it to connect.

Return to Live Production